- Chesterfield FD responds to house fire
- On Your Side Alert: Organizing your passwords
- O'Boyle posts 100th win as VCU rolls UTPA
- Woman Charged With Fatally Stabbing Boyfriend In Md.
- Facebook accused of bowing to Putin: Site shuts down page supporting president's rival 'because of pressure from the Kremlin'
- New hope for vaccine against human form of mad cow disease after scientists develop jab for brain-wasting condition in deer
- Wealthy New York socialites who were cleared of abusing their nanny are stuck on luxurious Italy vacation after border officials refuse to let them back on US soil
- Timber CEO shocks company by turning down $1.85million bonus because he believes he didn't earn it
- NYPD officer caught on camera repeatedly punching a 16-year-old black suspect in the back during street arrest is suspended
- 'We don't believe in vengeance, we just forgive': Family of slain NYPD cop FORGIVES cold-blooded assassin saying 'he is in the hands of God now'
BBC deny new Doctor Who will be announced today after rumours Matt Smith's replacement would be revealed
More from UK
- Fuchsia Seraphine Dress Worn by Kate Only Costs $79
- Kenny Sansom Admits He's a Homeless Alcoholic Who Sleeps on a Park Bench
- Mothers' Groups Hail Kate's Decision Not to Hide Her Post-Baby Bump
- Body of missing 2-year-old found by police a day after he wandered off while playing with his brother
- A Summery Pippa Middleton Dresses the Part in Ladylike Florals at Coronation Festival
New names have been thrown into the frame - and there was talk of an early announcement. But maybe not...
Doctor Who star Matt Smith's decision to quit has had the internet swirling with more rumours than the football transfer window (almost).
Will it be the first black Doctor? Or a woman Doctor? Or what about a gay Doctor? Or will the BBC stick with their more tried and tested formula?
We're keeping track of the names being thrown into the hat to become the fourth Doctor in the BBC reboot after Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith.
Stardust sci fi and fantasy magazine reported the new Doctor could be announced as soon as tonight - which might have upset Simon Cowell a bit...
They claimed the BBC had already done the official photo shoot and were set to reveal the identity of the next Doctor early to avoid it being done by a Sunday paper tomorrow.
The three names they gave as contenders were Domhnall Gleeson, Daniel Kaluuya and Dominic Cooper.
But it looks like Doctor Who fans are going to have to wait a bit longer after the official Doctor Who Twitter account denied anything would happen today, tweeting: "We can confirm there is no #DoctorWho announcement planned for today."
BBC One's account also replied to fans' messages to say no announcement was on the cards.
And judging by the comments from TV producer and director Ed Stradling, there is going to be a while to wait.
He tweeted: "Don't believe what you read about the new Doctor Who being announced this weekend. I think it must be Starburst getting a bit over-excited!
"Steven Moffat says this morning 'I haven't a clue who it is, we've barely started.' So no Doctor Who announcement this evening I fear!"
Stradling suggested the Doctor Who bosses are keeping their options on who will take on Matt Smith's bow tie after he took on David Tennant's Converse and trench after he took on Christopher Eccleston's leather jacket etc.
He tweeted: "On the Doctor Who casting, remember inspiration can come from anywhere. In 2008 Steven wanted a 40+ actor to replace David Tennant then Matt Smith auditioned for Dr Watson in Sherlock. He was wrong for Watson but perfect for DW, so he cast him anyway despite his age.
No comment was passed on the names suggested by Stardust.
Domhnall Gleeson, 30, is an Irish actor who played Ron Weasley's brother Bill in the final two Harry Potter films. Daniel Kaluuya is 24 and best known as Posh Kenneth in E4 drama Skins. He would be the first black Doctor Who. Dominic Cooper, 35, is best known for Mamma Mia! and The History Boys.
How old should the new Doctor Who be?
Which first would you like?
New Doctor Who contendersView gallery
A selection of names in the frame so far...
Backed for it:
They say they want it:
- Benedict Cumberbatch - said to have ruled himself out to focus his attention on offers of Hollywood movie roles