- Golden Retriever puppy in a tub paddling furiously but not going anywhere
- Ohio father pens letter to his daughter with Down syndrome on her wedding day
- US defense secretary Ash Carter warns North Korea against attacking South Korea
- Football team that BAPTISES players on field under fire from anti-religion activists
- Mumbai acid attack victim Reshma stars in 'Make Love Not Scars' video
- Pennsylvania parents ask judge to stop 48-year-old's gender reassignment surgery
- Charlotte Simone video sees elderly women running riot in the streets
- Idanha Mayor Cletus Moore in Oregon arrested for meth possession for the second time
- Floyd 'Money' Mayweather uploads video of him casually loading $1m into a bag
- Apple's TV box will cost $149 and let you search for movies and TV shows ANYWHERE
Bournemouth V Orange County: Harry Redknapp appears in funny advert for seaside town as a parody to 'Visit California' video which featured Arnold Schwarzenegger
More from UK
- Fuchsia Seraphine Dress Worn by Kate Only Costs $79
- Kenny Sansom Admits He's a Homeless Alcoholic Who Sleeps on a Park Bench
- Mothers' Groups Hail Kate's Decision Not to Hide Her Post-Baby Bump
- Body of missing 2-year-old found by police a day after he wandered off while playing with his brother
- A Summery Pippa Middleton Dresses the Part in Ladylike Florals at Coronation Festival
By Libby Galvin
PUBLISHED: 06:24 EST, 8 February 2013 | UPDATED: 08:00 EST, 8 February 2013
When most people think of Bournemouth, they think of retirement homes and windy beaches - not of Britain's very own version of sunny Orange County or LA.
But a hilarious new video produced by the Bournemouth Tourism Marketing Group could very well change all that.
Taking their lead from the 'Visit California' adverts that jokingly aimed to challenge misconceptions of the U.S. state, the Bournemouth video features football manager Harry Redknapp, Blur bassist Alex James and actress Debra Stephenson.
SCROLL DOWN FOR VIDEOS >>
And the not so surprising: Blur's Alex James huddles under an umbrella with his picnic to shelter from the British weather
Blustery in Blighty: Harry Redknapp takes to the golf course in Bournemouth
Send up: Debra Stephenson, Dorset resident, puts on a Californian twang in the advert
The 54-second clip shows plenty of unexpected aspects of the seaside town - with everything from grannies surfing to Redknapp using a golf club to hit a football.
The advert parodies the 'Visit California' videos that feature stars Arnold Schwarzenegger, David Beckham and Kim Kardashian among others.
It begins with actress Debra Stephenson putting on a faux American accent, saying she wants to challenge 'misconceptions' of Bournemouth.
The ad goes on to show a granny rushing into the sea with a surfboard under her arm, a man enjoying fine dining while the Red Arrows fly overhead, and Blur's Alex James suggesting you visit Bournemouth - 'whatever the weather', as he sits under an umbrella and tucks into a picnic.
Across the pond: Arnie in the glamorous surroundings of a California beachside restaurant
Expect the unexpected: Kim Kardashian reads a book on quantum physics as she sunbathes by the pool
And football managing legend Harry Redknapp sends himself up as he is filmed swinging his golf club at a football on a Bournemouth golf course.
Redknapp said he was proud to be featured in the short film:
'I was more than happy to be part of the tourism video, it's no secret that I love the area. The beaches and views are just fantastic; it's a lovely place to live.
'Being filmed on a golf course hitting a football was just a bit of fun, I hope it does well for them.'
Comic touch: Football manager Redknapp shows off his dubious skills on the golf course by hitting a football with a golf club, while the Hollywood version of the advert features a more professional touch
Spot the difference: In Bournemouth, a brave pensioner in a wetsuit paddles into a clearly chilly sea, while in sizzling California a blonde beauty strides into the ocean with her surfboard
In contrast, the original American adverts - first launched in 2010 and now with several different versions recorded with various famous faces - showed Arnold Schwarzenegger eating in a glamorous beachside restaurant, David Beckham playing football on the beach, and Kim Kardashian insisting:
Catalyst: California native Katy Perry unwittingly inspired the Bournemouth ads
'People have a lot of misconceptions about California, but none of them are really true,' as she reads a book on quantum physics while lounging by the pool.
And surprisingly the idea for the video came from a famous Californian visitor to Bournemouth - pop superstar Katy Perry.
Jasmine Connolly, of the Bournemouth Tourism Marketing Group, said:
'We were storyboarding some ideas for a social media campaign and remembered that Katy Perry had mentioned when she came to Bournemouth that it reminded her of her home town California.
'It was that which gave us the idea for a parody of the California video.
'We shot it over four days, with all the local stars keen to get involved and support the town.
'The reaction has been really positive - a lot of people from local business have contacted us and said its fantastic, that it's something a bit different.'
- Bournemouth's sandy beach spans seven miles
- July is Bournemouth's hottest month, with an average temperature of 17C and 13 hours of sunshine
- Films and TV shows including The French Lieutenant's Woman starring Meryl Streep, Emma starring Gwyneth Paltrow, and One Foot in the Grave have been shot in Bournemouth
- The town is home to 160,000 people and sees 5 million visitors a year
... VERSUS CALIFORNIA
- Orange County alone boasts 42 miles of coastline
- August is the hottest month in OC, with an average temperature of 26C
- California is home to Hollywood, Los Angeles, meaning that nearly all the great American movies you might name have been born, filmed or based there
- California state sees well over 208 million U.S. domestic visitors a year and more than 13 million tourists from outside the U.S.
WATCH THE VIDEOS >>