- Meet The World’s Most Identical Twins Who Spent $250k On Surgery And Share One Boyfriend
- Yahoo, Microsoft add termination clause in search deal: filing
- Funeral service planned Tuesday for slain UMW student
- Philadelphia mom of abandoned quadriplegic man faces extradition hearing
- Egypt's ousted president Morsi sentenced to 20 years in prison
- Hundreds of Zimbabweans return to their home country after escaping the bloody anti-immigrant violence across South Africa
- Las Vegas drug rehab worker shot dead in drive-by was 'innocent bystander' killed as she helped women escape 'threatening men'
- Chicago officer Dante Servin cleared in Rekia Boyd shooting
- Maureen McDonnell's attorneys file for appeal
- UK chip designer ARM hits a high after iPhone 6 boost
Italian Wedding Cake
More from Recipes
Original recipe makes 1 - 3 layer 8 inch round cake
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup margarine
2 cups white sugar
5 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 egg whites
1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 8 inch pans. Combine the buttermilk, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and almond extract. Beat in the buttermilk mixture alternately with the flour, mixing just until incorporated. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Stir in pineapple, coconut and 1 cup pecans.
Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake layers to cool 10 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
To make the frosting: Cream together the butter, cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until blended. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 cup pecans. If frosting is too stiff to spread, stir in milk a teaspoon at a time until it reaches desired consistency.