- Alcatel's strategic undersea cables unit to be swallowed by Nokia
- Swiss court upholds ruling against Swisscom, reduces penalty
- Schrems: the law student who brought down a transatlantic data pact
- Etsy doubles down on manufacturing as it faces off with Amazon
- Adobe 2016 forecast disappoints, shares slump
- Big U.S. firms hold $2.1 trillion overseas to avoid taxes: study
- Microsoft unveils first laptop, updated devices using Windows 10
- Samsung Electronics says third-quarter profit likely up 79.8 percent, beating expectations
- Ravens-Browns Preview With Tony Lombardi
- Charm City Circulator To Expand; Rides To Remain Free
Italian Wedding Cake
More from Recipes
- Now they even want to BAN bacon sarnies writes RICHARD LITTLEJOHN
- The 9 foods shown to help prevent breast cancer, from tomatoes to edamame beans...
- Coventry mother with Selective Eating Disorder lived on egg and chips for 30 YEARS
- Etiquette expert William Hanson reveals the 10 things snubbed at the dinner table
- Avocado SEED makes up 70% of its nutritional benefits if you know how to eat it
Original recipe makes 1 - 3 layer 8 inch round cake
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup margarine
2 cups white sugar
5 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
5 egg whites
1/2 cup drained crushed pineapple
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
4 cups confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 8 inch pans. Combine the buttermilk, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and almond extract. Beat in the buttermilk mixture alternately with the flour, mixing just until incorporated. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Stir in pineapple, coconut and 1 cup pecans.
Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake layers to cool 10 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.
To make the frosting: Cream together the butter, cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until blended. Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1 cup pecans. If frosting is too stiff to spread, stir in milk a teaspoon at a time until it reaches desired consistency.