- Mobile phones ARE linked to cancer, study claims: Long-term use 'is associated with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, headaches and skin irritation'
- 'Deeply unpleasant' Lee Rigby troll is convicted of harassing the murdered soldier’s family with conspiracy theories
- Mental health suffers most in major nuclear accidents, studies find
- Who are the mystery 1950s girls in the surf? Photographer launches hunt for women in vintage photos found in Virginia thrift shop
- Plane 'crashes into Hampshire car dealership'
- RBS blames cyber-attack after NatWest customers unable to access bank's website
- Teenage fraudster jailed for swindling £110,000 to fund lavish lifestyle after police spotted his 'Ferrari' was a FAKE
- Mother, 42, reveals she is mistaken for her 14-year-old daughter's SISTER all the time
- Watch the terrifying moment a great white shark RAMS a boat and almost capsizes it ... but don't worry, it's only saying 'hello'
- France 'agrees warship compensation' with Russia
Ginger Scallion Egg-Drop Soup
More from Recipes
yield: Makes 2 servings (light main course) or 4 servings (first course)
active time: 15 min
total time: 45 min
It's only natural to use leftover chicken broth (from Blade Steaks with Rosemary White–Bean Purée ) to make chicken soup. But what a soup! Steeping... more ›
6 scallions, divided
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 (2-inch) piece peeled ginger, sliced
1 skinless boneless chicken breast half (6 to 8 ounces)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
Asian sesame oil
Smash 3 scallions and cut into 2-inch pieces, then put in a 2-quart saucepan with water, broth, ginger, and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer, then poach chicken at a bare simmer, uncovered, until just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let broth steep, covered, 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop remaining 3 scallions and shred chicken.
Discard scallions and ginger from broth and bring to a brisk simmer. Add beaten eggs in a slow stream, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in scallions, chicken, and white pepper (if using). Serve drizzled with sesame oil.