- Conan predicts Super Bowl winner with Lynch, Gronkowski using 'Mortal Kombat'
- 7 people injured in crash on I-85 South in Dinwiddie
- U.Va. Head: School to be National Leader on Campus Safety
- WorldViews: Venezuela uses photo of journalist it detained to promote how well it treats foreigners
- WorldViews: U.K. marks the 50th anniversary of Winston Churchill’s funeral — and what a funeral it was
- WorldViews: Germany is housing refugees within Holocaust-era concentration camps
- Suge Knight arrested for murder after 'running friend over twice' on Straight Outta Compton set
- What drugs are popular in YOUR country?
- Donna Karan puts Caribbean villas up for sale and they can be yours for £26million
- CIA rendition and torture DID take place on Diego Garcia
Grilled Romaine Lettuce
More from Recipes
Grilled Romaine Lettuce Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
What are romaine hearts? Just the inner leaves of romaine lettuce that stay somewhat tightly together, not the outer leaves.
3 to 4 romaine hearts
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 Prep the romaine hearts—pull off any old leaves. Chop off the top 1 or 2 inches of the lettuce head, and shave off the browned part of the root end, leaving the root end intact so that the lettuce head stays together.
2 Prepare your grill for high, direct heat. Paint the lettuce hearts all over with the vinaigrette. Prepare the vinaigrette. Put the oil, vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk with a fork to combine.
3 Grill the romaine hearts until lightly browned on all sides, turning every minute or two until done.
Serve immediately. You can either serve the hearts whole, or chop them and toss them for a salad.
Yield: Serves 3-4.