- Six elite soldiers killed in eastern Congo ambush
- Celebrated Romanian baritone Dan Iordachescu dies at 85
- Thai police hunt two bombing suspects after weekend raids
- Wildfire destroys 5,000 acres in northwest Spain
- Europe stocks set for worst monthly loss since 2011 on China, Fed concerns
- Blue Bell resumes selling ice cream after listeria recall
- EU gives France 5 million euros for new Calais migrant camp
- Epix reaches multiyear Hulu deal, ends Netflix agreement
- UN climate negotiators work in Bonn on deal to fight warming
- Merkel warns Germans that migrant crisis won't be resolved soon
Grilled Romaine Lettuce
More from Recipes
Grilled Romaine Lettuce Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
What are romaine hearts? Just the inner leaves of romaine lettuce that stay somewhat tightly together, not the outer leaves.
3 to 4 romaine hearts
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 Prep the romaine hearts—pull off any old leaves. Chop off the top 1 or 2 inches of the lettuce head, and shave off the browned part of the root end, leaving the root end intact so that the lettuce head stays together.
2 Prepare your grill for high, direct heat. Paint the lettuce hearts all over with the vinaigrette. Prepare the vinaigrette. Put the oil, vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk with a fork to combine.
3 Grill the romaine hearts until lightly browned on all sides, turning every minute or two until done.
Serve immediately. You can either serve the hearts whole, or chop them and toss them for a salad.
Yield: Serves 3-4.