- Stabbing Victim's Family Holds Vigil
- Emails Between Rolling Stone Author, UVA Officials
- AP Sources: 2nd NYC Cop Killed in Ambush Shooting
- AP Source: US Seeks China's Help after Cyberattack
- Japan’s pet owners shower furry ones with holiday gifts, cakes and even vacations
- Farage 'abused power' to save Ukip candidate in racism storm: Email reveals he overturned ban on party 'golden boy'
- Police warn pickpockets in the only language they understand... Romanian: Sign placed in Covent Garden during Christmas shopping rush
- Is this the most selfless mother of all?: Inspiring courage of the British Army Colonel who left her young children at Christmas to fight ebola in Sierra Leone
- 'Weak' Miliband blasted for giving immigration rebel plum job after he threatened to walk out of Shadow Cabinet
- Two New York police officers shot in Brooklyn
Grilled Romaine Lettuce
More from Recipes
Grilled Romaine Lettuce Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
What are romaine hearts? Just the inner leaves of romaine lettuce that stay somewhat tightly together, not the outer leaves.
3 to 4 romaine hearts
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
2 teaspoons chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme, oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly ground black pepper
1 Prep the romaine hearts—pull off any old leaves. Chop off the top 1 or 2 inches of the lettuce head, and shave off the browned part of the root end, leaving the root end intact so that the lettuce head stays together.
2 Prepare your grill for high, direct heat. Paint the lettuce hearts all over with the vinaigrette. Prepare the vinaigrette. Put the oil, vinegar, herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl and whisk with a fork to combine.
3 Grill the romaine hearts until lightly browned on all sides, turning every minute or two until done.
Serve immediately. You can either serve the hearts whole, or chop them and toss them for a salad.
Yield: Serves 3-4.