- Suicide Bombers Target Turkish Peace Rally
- Russia’s New Mega-Missile Stuns the Globe
- Indian Man Walks Around the Street With Severed Head of Wife He Allegedly Beheaded
- Top opposition figure agrees to participate in Guinea election
- Residents of contaminated town wary of government efforts
- Steve Martin gets serious as curator of artist Lawren Harris
- Three killed in violent unrest in Iraqi Kurdistan -sources
- Prisoners who escaped Alcatraz in 1962 'could be ALIVE': Relatives claim to have proof three escapees survived paddle to shore, decades after FBI said they 'drowned'
- Carrickmines traveller site fire breaks out and leaves nine dead
- Broadcaster Clive James has survived a year after leukaemia diagnosis
Apple Chicken Salad
More from Recipes
- Photography series shows how Pizza Hut restaurants have changed
- Which chef had an octopus on his head and why? 30-question quiz that reveals if you're a REAL foodie
- Is Nigella Lawson's favourite the avocado a super food or just super fattening?
- Inside Chefs' Fridges reveals the exotic (and sometimes mundane) ingredients
- Now they even want to BAN bacon sarnies writes RICHARD LITTLEJOHN
Chicken Salad Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
You can use any leftover cooked chicken meat for this salad, with or without the skin. Or you can poach some boneless skinless chicken breasts in salted water for this salad.
3/4 lb (2-3 cups) of cooked chicken meat*, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4-6 green olives, pitted and minced
1/4 cup of chopped red onion
1/2 to a whole apple, cored and chopped
1/3 head of iceberg head lettuce, sliced and chopped
5 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp plum preserves, or any sweet berry preserve (or a lesser amount of honey)
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
*To poach chicken for this recipe, start with a pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large (2 to 3-inch) pieces. Bring a 2 quart pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil. Add the chicken to the boiling water, turn off the heat and cover the pot. Let the chicken pieces sit in the hot water for 15 minutes, then drain the water and chop the chicken pieces into smaller pieces for the salad.
1 Prep all of the salad ingredients and toss them together in a large bowl.
2 Prepare the chicken salad dressing in a separate smaller bowl. Mix together the mayonnaise, preserves, and lemon juice. Taste for the proper balance of sweetness and acidity. The salad dressing should not be too sweet nor too sour. Add more preserves or lemon juice until you have reached the balance you want. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3 Gently stir the dressing in with the chicken salad ingredients. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Yield: Serves 4