- D.C. group petitions for moratorium on 'pop-up' houses
- WEATHER BLOG: Cold Night In Baltimore
- Police: Pedestrian Hit on Park Avenue, Listed in Critical Condition
- Heavy Police Presence in Amherst County
- Historic Theatre Plans to Open Next Year
- CIA and Mossad killed senior Hezbollah figure in car bombing
- WorldViews: Who was Imad Mughniyah, a senior Hezbollah figure killed in joint CIA-Mossad operation?
- I was born with no womb - but now I've given birth to twins, says mother who feared that 'no man will want me'
- Neighbor, 42, jailed for life after murdering nine-year-old girl and hiding her body in woods before pretending to search for her
- Aaron Hernandez won't be allowed to watch the Super Bowl
Apple Chicken Salad
More from Recipes
Chicken Salad Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
You can use any leftover cooked chicken meat for this salad, with or without the skin. Or you can poach some boneless skinless chicken breasts in salted water for this salad.
3/4 lb (2-3 cups) of cooked chicken meat*, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4-6 green olives, pitted and minced
1/4 cup of chopped red onion
1/2 to a whole apple, cored and chopped
1/3 head of iceberg head lettuce, sliced and chopped
5 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp plum preserves, or any sweet berry preserve (or a lesser amount of honey)
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
*To poach chicken for this recipe, start with a pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large (2 to 3-inch) pieces. Bring a 2 quart pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil. Add the chicken to the boiling water, turn off the heat and cover the pot. Let the chicken pieces sit in the hot water for 15 minutes, then drain the water and chop the chicken pieces into smaller pieces for the salad.
1 Prep all of the salad ingredients and toss them together in a large bowl.
2 Prepare the chicken salad dressing in a separate smaller bowl. Mix together the mayonnaise, preserves, and lemon juice. Taste for the proper balance of sweetness and acidity. The salad dressing should not be too sweet nor too sour. Add more preserves or lemon juice until you have reached the balance you want. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3 Gently stir the dressing in with the chicken salad ingredients. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Yield: Serves 4