- 2 women in hospital after shooting in Shockoe Bottom
- Holiday shopping kicks off on Thanksgiving Day
- Family of 6-year-old praying for life-saving surgery
- 4 killed as insurgent attacks continue in Afghanistan
- Italian designer unveils stunning 164ft BRONZE Belafonte superyacht
- Astronauts reveal space station Thanksgiving menu of irradiated turkey
- Breathe in! Thai market set on TOP of railway tracks... so locals have to move stalls every time trains pass through
- The incredible moment intrepid kayaker paddles over Tomata Falls
- Dame Sally Davies says it is crucial two to four-year-old children get flu vaccination
- Asda boss sacked over claims that £180,000 of charity cash was funnelled to firm run by his dancer lover
Apple Chicken Salad
More from Recipes
Chicken Salad Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
You can use any leftover cooked chicken meat for this salad, with or without the skin. Or you can poach some boneless skinless chicken breasts in salted water for this salad.
3/4 lb (2-3 cups) of cooked chicken meat*, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4-6 green olives, pitted and minced
1/4 cup of chopped red onion
1/2 to a whole apple, cored and chopped
1/3 head of iceberg head lettuce, sliced and chopped
5 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp plum preserves, or any sweet berry preserve (or a lesser amount of honey)
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
*To poach chicken for this recipe, start with a pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large (2 to 3-inch) pieces. Bring a 2 quart pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil. Add the chicken to the boiling water, turn off the heat and cover the pot. Let the chicken pieces sit in the hot water for 15 minutes, then drain the water and chop the chicken pieces into smaller pieces for the salad.
1 Prep all of the salad ingredients and toss them together in a large bowl.
2 Prepare the chicken salad dressing in a separate smaller bowl. Mix together the mayonnaise, preserves, and lemon juice. Taste for the proper balance of sweetness and acidity. The salad dressing should not be too sweet nor too sour. Add more preserves or lemon juice until you have reached the balance you want. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3 Gently stir the dressing in with the chicken salad ingredients. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Yield: Serves 4