- Is this the worst DIY rewiring ever? Hilarious moment man shows how he can turn on the lights with a hairdryer
- Nick Clegg makes controversial election vow to decriminalise 'skunk' cannabis despite research linking it to mental illness
- Thousands of skiers trapped in the Alps after giant 50-tonne rock blocks main mountain road
- Plague of the voyeur drones: Flying toy cameras spark 'peeping Tom' complaints with police powerless to stop them
- Two affairs, one teenage runaway and cruel nuns... the VERY wild youth of the real-life Call The Midwife sisters
- The scrummy soprano who is 'pre-engaged' to her rugged rugger hero (that's what couples do before committing to a PROPER proposal)
- Forecasters say it's going to be a snowy March first before we hit warm Easter
- Union flag to be plastered across Scottish bridges and roads with message 'Paid for by the UK taxpayer' to counter independence
- 'I've been stabbed': killed man's final words to his friends before he collapsed in pool of blood after deadly altercation...over 'how to drive' in a car park
- Mama, dada... f**k you! Parents horrified when some of the first words son, 3, learned were expletives picked up from his Peppa Pig toy
Apple Chicken Salad
More from Recipes
Chicken Salad Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
You can use any leftover cooked chicken meat for this salad, with or without the skin. Or you can poach some boneless skinless chicken breasts in salted water for this salad.
3/4 lb (2-3 cups) of cooked chicken meat*, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4-6 green olives, pitted and minced
1/4 cup of chopped red onion
1/2 to a whole apple, cored and chopped
1/3 head of iceberg head lettuce, sliced and chopped
5 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp plum preserves, or any sweet berry preserve (or a lesser amount of honey)
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
*To poach chicken for this recipe, start with a pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large (2 to 3-inch) pieces. Bring a 2 quart pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil. Add the chicken to the boiling water, turn off the heat and cover the pot. Let the chicken pieces sit in the hot water for 15 minutes, then drain the water and chop the chicken pieces into smaller pieces for the salad.
1 Prep all of the salad ingredients and toss them together in a large bowl.
2 Prepare the chicken salad dressing in a separate smaller bowl. Mix together the mayonnaise, preserves, and lemon juice. Taste for the proper balance of sweetness and acidity. The salad dressing should not be too sweet nor too sour. Add more preserves or lemon juice until you have reached the balance you want. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3 Gently stir the dressing in with the chicken salad ingredients. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Yield: Serves 4