- Starbucks creates limited edition birthday cake Frappuccino to celebrate 20th anniversary
- Florida retirement community named the fastest growing metropolitan area in the U.S.
- Tacoma police dog Barney dies after ingesting meth during drug bust in Washington
- VA Developing Limits on School Seclusion, Restraint
- Mexican wrestling star Hijo del Perro Aguayodied almost instantly in the ring
- Ben Affleck urges U.S. Senators not to cut foreign aid to Africa
- Is another of Britain's medieval monarchs about to be dug up? Archaeologists to dig for King Stephen - grandson of William the Conquerer - under a school playing field
- Teenage 'road rage shooter' and 'getaway driver' charged with killing Las Vegas mother Tammy Meyers appear in court looking petrified
- Man sues builder after his $1.6million dream home begins to crumble and sink into its foundations immediately after it's built
- Gamble for British oven manufacturer AGA as it launches traditional kitchen staple with wok burner for country's new middle class
Apple Chicken Salad
More from Recipes
Chicken Salad Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
You can use any leftover cooked chicken meat for this salad, with or without the skin. Or you can poach some boneless skinless chicken breasts in salted water for this salad.
3/4 lb (2-3 cups) of cooked chicken meat*, coarsely chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
4-6 green olives, pitted and minced
1/4 cup of chopped red onion
1/2 to a whole apple, cored and chopped
1/3 head of iceberg head lettuce, sliced and chopped
5 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp plum preserves, or any sweet berry preserve (or a lesser amount of honey)
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
*To poach chicken for this recipe, start with a pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large (2 to 3-inch) pieces. Bring a 2 quart pot of well-salted water to a rolling boil. Add the chicken to the boiling water, turn off the heat and cover the pot. Let the chicken pieces sit in the hot water for 15 minutes, then drain the water and chop the chicken pieces into smaller pieces for the salad.
1 Prep all of the salad ingredients and toss them together in a large bowl.
2 Prepare the chicken salad dressing in a separate smaller bowl. Mix together the mayonnaise, preserves, and lemon juice. Taste for the proper balance of sweetness and acidity. The salad dressing should not be too sweet nor too sour. Add more preserves or lemon juice until you have reached the balance you want. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3 Gently stir the dressing in with the chicken salad ingredients. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Yield: Serves 4