- UN rejects $15 million offer from foundation under scrutiny
- Nearly 600 absent after suicide notes found at school
- California to enact comprehensive medical marijuana regulations
- Police: SUV hurtles through Massachusetts auction, injures 8
- US weighing Russian response on flight safety guildlines
- Ex-lottery security officer charged with rigging more games
- 13-year-old boy accused in fatal shooting of girl, 12
- In familiar ritual, Obama consoles families from Oregon mass shooting
- New U.S.-Russia military talks seen on Syria air safety
- Federal agency to supervise Metro safety
Cilantro and Lime Shrimp
More from Recipes
- Which chef had an octopus on his head and why? 30-question quiz that reveals if you're a REAL foodie
- Is Nigella Lawson's favourite the avocado a super food or just super fattening?
- Inside Chefs' Fridges reveals the exotic (and sometimes mundane) ingredients
- Now they even want to BAN bacon sarnies writes RICHARD LITTLEJOHN
- Etiquette expert William Hanson reveals the 10 things snubbed at the dinner table
Cilantro Lime Shrimp Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
If you are using frozen shrimp, defrost them by placing them in a bowl of ice water or cold water. Adding a little salt to the water will help the shrimp retain their briny flavor.
Add to shopping list
2 Tbsp high smoke point oil such as grape seed oil, or canola oil
1-2 Serrano chiles, sliced into thin rings
1-2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1-2 Tbsp lime juice
1 Place a large sauté pan or a wok over your strongest burner on high heat. Let the pan heat up for a minute and then add the oil. Use a high smoke point oil since you will be cooking the shrimp on very high heat. Let the oil heat until it's shimmering. If it starts to smoke, remove the pan from the heat for a moment.
2 Add the chiles to the pan and toss to coat with oil. Cook 30 seconds. Add the shrimp and garlic to the pan and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat with oil. Let the shrimp cook undisturbed for 1 minute before tossing again so they get a little bit of a sear. Stir-fry until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes.
3 Turn off the heat and mix in the cilantro, then the lime juice.
Serve hot or at room temperature. Serve alone, over rice, or in a folded heated flour or corn tortilla.
Yield: Serves 3-4.