- Animal home put on watch list after claims it's killing too many cats and dogs
- The Aussie cricket team set to win even if they LOSE the World Cup against New Zealand...as match payouts could reach $340,000 EACH
- Big brand theory for professors Brian Cox and Stephen Hawking who trademark their own names to turn themselves into brands
- A Clockwork outrage: Leading literary figures blast 'pathetic' decision by English Heritage to refuse blue plaque for Anthony Burgess because he is not 'significant' enough
- Is this the world's hottest MATHS teacher?
- 'I felt out of place': Angelina Jolie gives insight into her misfit youth with empowering speech in first appearance since she revealed she had ovaries removed
- Breathtaking images of America's National Parks overflowing with lush greenery and bleeding sunsets voted best of spring by the U.S. Department of Interior
- Head teachers to report parents to police and social services if they let their children play Grand Theft Auto or Call of duty
- Amanda Knox to return to ITALY and write a book on the country's legal system after being cleared of death of Meredith Kercher
- Mia Farrow's sister who inspired Beatles' song Dear Prudence was Robert Durst's mistress until days before his wife disappeared
Grilled Pork Chops Covered with Cherry Salsa
More from Recipes
Grilled Pork Chops with Cherry Salsa Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
If your cherries are juicy, the salsa will be juicy too. If you want the salsa less juicy, put the finished salsa into a fine-meshed strainer and strain off some of the excess juice.
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 pounds cherries, about 4 cups
4 pork chops, about 3/4-inch thick
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon sugar
1 Mix the chopped onion with the lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside. The lemon juice will help take the edge off the onions.
2 Coat the pork chops in olive oil and sprinkle salt over them. Set aside at room temperature.
3 Pit and de-stem the cherries. A cherry pitter is magical for this task, but if you don't have one, use a small knife. Double check for stray pits, they always seem to find their way into dishes that call for fresh cherries.
4 Put the cherries, onions and chopped basil into a food processor. Pulse a few times until you have a chunky salsa, with differing textures of cherry. Alternately, you can chop everything by hand.
5 Mix in the balsamic vinegar, the 1/2 teaspoon salt and sugar. Add more of any of these ingredients to taste. Set aside at room temperature. You can make this salsa up to 8 hours in advance.
6 Prepare your grill for high direct heat. Grill the pork chops over high heat with the grill cover closed for 3 minutes. Turn them 45 degrees on the same side to get a pretty cross-hatch pattern, then close the grill cover and cook another 3 minutes. Turn the pork chops over, but this time keep the grill cover open and cook for a final 2-3 minutes. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Serve the pork chops with the cherry salsa.
Yield: Serves 4.