- French court upholds ban on unlicensed taxis, hitting Uber
- China's Didi Kuaidi ups stakes in taxi apps war
- Audi says to enhance Chinese connected-car offerings with Baidu
- WorldViews: Among Syrians, Palmyra is famous for a different landmark — its brutal prison
- In El Salvador, beatification of slain archbishop reopens old wounds
- Miss Venezuela Damarys Ruiz who spent her last 15 years homeless dies
- Britons believe Brighton Pavilion is Taj Mahal and St Paul's is the Vatican
- Now Prince Charles says: Name your streets in Cornish, writes SEBASTIAN SHAKESPEARE
- Could Henry I become the second 'car park' King? Team who discovered Richard III launch search in Reading for monarch who was buried in abbey destroyed in 1539
- Salmonella outbreak linked to raw tuna sickens 53 people in nine states
Grilled Pork Chops Covered with Cherry Salsa
More from Recipes
Grilled Pork Chops with Cherry Salsa Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
If your cherries are juicy, the salsa will be juicy too. If you want the salsa less juicy, put the finished salsa into a fine-meshed strainer and strain off some of the excess juice.
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 pounds cherries, about 4 cups
4 pork chops, about 3/4-inch thick
2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon sugar
1 Mix the chopped onion with the lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside. The lemon juice will help take the edge off the onions.
2 Coat the pork chops in olive oil and sprinkle salt over them. Set aside at room temperature.
3 Pit and de-stem the cherries. A cherry pitter is magical for this task, but if you don't have one, use a small knife. Double check for stray pits, they always seem to find their way into dishes that call for fresh cherries.
4 Put the cherries, onions and chopped basil into a food processor. Pulse a few times until you have a chunky salsa, with differing textures of cherry. Alternately, you can chop everything by hand.
5 Mix in the balsamic vinegar, the 1/2 teaspoon salt and sugar. Add more of any of these ingredients to taste. Set aside at room temperature. You can make this salsa up to 8 hours in advance.
6 Prepare your grill for high direct heat. Grill the pork chops over high heat with the grill cover closed for 3 minutes. Turn them 45 degrees on the same side to get a pretty cross-hatch pattern, then close the grill cover and cook another 3 minutes. Turn the pork chops over, but this time keep the grill cover open and cook for a final 2-3 minutes. Allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Serve the pork chops with the cherry salsa.
Yield: Serves 4.