- Russia launches Arctic sea land-grab bid to the UN to claim territories
- Barack Obama to channel JF Kennedy in speech promoting his Iran nuclear deal
- Why women are the colder sex as it's revealed air conditioning in offices is too chilly.
- Kellogg's Corn Flakes invented to stop masturbation and sexual desire
- The Pill could protect against womb cancer for five decades
- Frank Sinatra's nightwith Jackie O and why was only his second greatest conquest
- Road rage attack caught on camera shows California man being run over
- Muslim man Ali Muhammad Brown accused of killing 4 men pleads NOT guilty to murder
- Florida police dispatcher Amanda Chandler 'had sexual relationship with 11-year-old'
- Elon Musk withdraws Talulah Riley divorce papers after being spotted at Allen & Company conference
Frutti di Mare
More from Recipes
Frutti di Mare Seafood Salad Recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Be sure to follow the steps in order, so all the seafood is properly cooked and the broth becomes nice and flavorful.
4 cups water
1 cup white wine or chicken stock
2 teaspoons salt
2-3 bay leaves
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 small onion, roughly chopped
2 celery stalks
1 large yellow or orange bell pepper
1 pound tomatoes
1/2 cup chives
1 pound small cocktail shrimp
1 pound small clams in shell
1/2 pound bay scallops
1/2 pound calamari, cut into rings
1/4 cup high-quality olive oil, or more to taste
Juice of 1-2 lemons
Salt and black pepper to taste
1 Put all the poaching broth ingredients together in a medium pot, cover and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat to let the flavors steep while you cut the veggies.
2 While the poaching broth is steeping, dice the yellow pepper, seed and dice the tomatoes and slice the celery stalks very thin. Chop the chives. Juice the lemons and remove any seeds. Put the diced peppers, tomatoes and celery into very large bowl. Most cocktail shrimp are pre-cleaned and cooked, so you you can put them in the bowl, too.
3 Bring the poaching broth back to a boil and add all the clams. Boil 3-4 minutes, or until the clams all open up. As soon as you see each clam open, fish it out and set it aside. Remove the meat and put in the bowl with the veggies. Turn off the heat and put the scallops in the poaching water. Cover the pot and let stand for 3-4 minutes. Fish out the scallops and put into the bowl.
4 Bring the broth to a boil once more. Add the calamari rings and boil 30 seconds to 1 minute, then pour the contents of the pot into a strainer set over a bowl. You can save the broth or discard it. Pick out all the calamari rings and add to the bowl.
5 To finish, add the olive oil and a little salt and half the lemon juice. Mix well and taste. Add more olive oil, lemon and salt until you get the flavors you want: The salad should be glistening with oil, briny and tart with lemon. Finally, mix in the chives and chill. This salad is better a few hours after it's made.
Yield: Serves 6-8.