- 1 dead, 3 wounded in university shooting in Northern Arizona University
- California beauty queen was busted for allegedly making child pornography with a 4-year-old
- What is lupus? Selena Gomez diagnosis prompts questions in the wake of the pop singer's announcement that she's been diagnosed with the disease
- British film star Daniel Craig earns his living playing parts, but who knew he had such a flair for the dramatic? he’d rather “slash his wrists” than resume the role
- Bella Hadid turns 19 today and, while at this point it feels as though she's always been a part of the It girl conversation, she actually just burst on the scene barely a year ago
- Justin Bieber appeared as confident as ever as he was pictured on the same day after full-frontal photos of him enjoying a skinny-dipping session in Bora Bora
- Justin Bieber has picked a fight he may want to avoid after upsetting Ronda Rousey by dissing her sister
- Search in Kentucky's Red River Gorge area for 2 missing boys
- Truck falls from overpass near nation's capital; 1 dead
- US STOCKS-Wall St rises as chances of 2015 rate hike fade
More from Recipes
- Which chef had an octopus on his head and why? 30-question quiz that reveals if you're a REAL foodie
- Is Nigella Lawson's favourite the avocado a super food or just super fattening?
- Inside Chefs' Fridges reveals the exotic (and sometimes mundane) ingredients
- Now they even want to BAN bacon sarnies writes RICHARD LITTLEJOHN
- The 9 foods shown to help prevent breast cancer, from tomatoes to edamame beans...
Grilled Artichokes Recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
2 to 4 large globe artichokes
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs such as rosemary, oregano, and thyme
1 Place chopped herbs in a small bowl, cover with olive oil. Microwave on high heat for 30 seconds (or heat oil and herbs on the stove top until warm). Let the herbs seep in the warm olive oil while you prepare the artichokes.
2 Prepare a large pot with an inch of water at the bottom and a steamer rack. Prepare the artichokes. Have lemon wedges ready. If you want a nice presentation, use scissors to snip away the pointy tips of the artichoke leaves. As you trim the artichokes, rub the cut areas with juice from the lemon wedges to prevent the artichokes from turning brown from oxidation. Use a vegetable peeler to cut away the thick outer layer of the artichoke stems. Trim the stems to 2 inches from the base of the artichoke. Cut off and discard the top 1/2 inch of the artichokes. Cut the artichokes in half. Use a strong metal spoon to scoop out the fuzzy chokes and the small inner artichoke leaves. Rub lemon juice all over the inside and exposed cut areas of the artichokes.
3 Heat the water in the large pot with a steamer rack on high. When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium high and place the artichoke halves, cut side down on the steam rack. Cover. Steam for 20 minutes (less of more, depending on the size of the artichokes), until you can easily pull off the outer leaves, and you can pierce the heart easily with a knife. The artichokes can be just a tiny bit less cooked than would be typically perfect for steamed artichokes, as you will be cooking them further on the grill.
4 Prepare your grill for direct, high heat. Use a pastry brush to brush the artichoke all over with the herb infused oil. Sprinkle all over with salt. Place the artichoke halves cut-side-down on the grill grates. Cover, and grill for 5 to 10 minutes, until you have nice grill mark on the cut sides of the artichokes.
To serve, sprinkle the cut sides with more lemon juice. Serve alone or with mayonnaise, remoulade, or aioli.
Yield: Serves 4.