- Father attacks his 3-year-old daughter Jamila Smith's murderer in Detroit court
- Indian woman sentenced to rape for brother's actions speaks out
- Disgraced former Subway pitchman Jared Fogle sues the director of his charity - who was also arrested on child porn charges - over $191,000 unpaid personal loan
- Tom Brady court sketch artist takes second stab at nailing those dimples after weeks of practice...and this time she gets a wave and a 'thank you' from the quarterback himself
- Mother, 22, says she 'drowned her twin 2-year-old sons in a bathtub' because 'no one loved them or her'
- ‘There is no group that would be happier to see such a thing’: Nasa hits out at UFO hunters who say they have found strange creatures on Mars
- Apple will let you talk to your TV and take on the Xbox and PlayStation with new $200 set top box to be unveiled next week
- African 'white elephant' coats himself in clay and mud to keep cool in heat of savannah
- North Dakota mother Sherri Dickson, 51, gives birth to her granddaughter
- John Legend and Cyndi Lauper among artists to write for SpongeBob musical
Chorizo Mac and Cheese
More from Recipes
Chorizo Mac and Cheese Recipe
Prep time: 10 minutesCook time: 50 minutes
We used El Mexicano brand chorizo for this recipe, as it is very soft, almost like a pâté. It integrates with the sauce better than other styles of Mexican chorizo. This recipe makes a small casserole, you can easily double the ingredients for a large casserole.
2 cups elbow macaroni
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon corn starch
4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
4 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese (about 1 cup)
6 ounces Mexican chorizo
1/2 cup minced red onion
2 Tbsp flour
2 teaspoons lime juice
2 Tbsp breadcrumbs
1 Tbsp butter
1 Mix the corn starch with the 2 cheeses in a bowl and set aside. The corn starch will help prevent the cheese sauce from getting too stringy.
2 Put the milk into a small saucepan and heat until steamy. Keep warm while you are preparing the recipe, do not let boil.
3 Put 2 quarts of water, salted with 1 Tbsp salt, into a large pot and heat to a boil. Once the water is at a full boil, add the macaroni to the pot. Return to a boil, and cook, uncovered, for about 2 minutes less than the macaroni package specifies, so that it is al dente, cooked, but still firm to the bite.
4 While the water is heating and the macaroni cooking, prepare the chorizo cheese sauce. Remove chorizo from its casing and put into a medium thick-bottomed saucepan on medium high heat. When the chorizo begins to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium. Cook the chorizo, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the minced red onion and cook the mixture until the onions soften, about 3-4 minutes.
5 When the macaroni is cooked, but still a bit firm, drain it and set aside. Preheat oven to 375°.
6 Add the flour to the pot with the chorizo and mix well. Everything will clump up. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pot, for 2 minutes. Add the hot milk a tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly. When all the milk has been added, heat the mixture to a gentle simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
7 Mix the grated cheese into the chorizo milk sauce. Mix in the cooked macaroni into the chorizo cheese sauce. Stir in the lime juice. Pour the macaroni and cheese into a small casserole dish. Make sure the top is level. Dust the top with the breadcrumbs, then dot with the butter. Bake until the breadcrumbs are golden, about 20 to 25 minutes.
If you want, serve with chopped avocados, crema fresca, and chopped fresh cilantro.
Yield: Serves 4.