- Help the Birthplace of Country Music as a volunteer
- Vets, the Library of Congress wants your memories
- More safety patrols on South Holston Lake for Memorial Day
- Marion families participate in Memorial Day events
- Johnson City firefighters hold benefit to honor fallen brother
- Mountain Home National Cemetery, VA Medical Center observes Memorial Day
- 'All Gave Some, Some Gave All': Local Family Remembers Fallen Soldier
- $75,000 will get you a lot of house in Havana — if you’re Cuban
- US 'is slapping oldest ally in the face over Guantanamo Briton': MPs say Washington is 'indifferent' over Shaker Aamer's plight
- Hormone that could fight infertility - AND diabetes: Kisspeptin could also be used to make IVF even safer
Shelters Take in Hundreds of Chihuahuas Removed from Pa. Home
More from Pets
- Owner Kira Cycling Couple's Pet Dog Goes Blind And Start Crowd Funding
- Wife captures incredible moment her husband scares off charging bear in the woods by holding up his arms and ROARING
- Crane puts two attacking tigers to shame after it fights them off in their own enclosure
- Black bear captured in Yonkers after three-day chase by cops ...and wildlife officials say the scavenger is 'nothing more than a large raccoon'
- Forest Service sees hope in battle against bat disease
HARRISBURG, Pa. — State Agriculture Department officials say animal shelters are taking in many of the nearly 200 Chihuahuas removed from a home in northeastern Pennsylvania.
Department spokeswoman Nichole Bucher said about half of the dogs being held at the Pennsylvania Farm Show complex in Harrisburg were spoken for by Friday morning. She hoped other shelters would take the rest by the day's end.
Bucher says veterinarians who checked the 187 dogs found no serious health problems, only minor eye, teeth and skin problems. She say the two men who kept the dogs at their Columbia County home treated them as pets and identified them by name to officials who took them away Thursday night.
The department has not filed any charges.
A call to the home was not immediately returned.