- Husband shot dead middle school teacher wife in apparent murder-suicide in front of one of their sons
- Aid millions not always the best way to help the poor: MPs admit sending handouts to countries such as India is no longer a 'sufficient response'
- D.C. couple charged with leaving 2 toddlers in car at 28 degrees while at a wine tasting
- After 17 years on Argentine bomb case, prosecutor was sure ‘truth will triumph’
- The home care visits that last just five minutes: Documents show local authorities are trying to cut time with vulnerable elderly people to save money
- Splash of hemp milk in your tea anyone There have never been more alternatives to cows milk. so which is healthiest
- Street cleaning budgets cut by up to 80 per cent: Fears over blight of litter after report finds it can be linked to higher levels of crime and lowers house prices by 12 per cent
- Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch could be turned into a rehabilitation center for sexually abused children
- Ofsted guide on how to bombard 11-year-olds with questions about lesbians
- Did McQueen help drive the woman who made him to her death? Isabella Blow turned Alexander McQueen into a fashion legend. Her reward? A terrible betrayal
Shelters Take in Hundreds of Chihuahuas Removed from Pa. Home
More from Pets
HARRISBURG, Pa. — State Agriculture Department officials say animal shelters are taking in many of the nearly 200 Chihuahuas removed from a home in northeastern Pennsylvania.
Department spokeswoman Nichole Bucher said about half of the dogs being held at the Pennsylvania Farm Show complex in Harrisburg were spoken for by Friday morning. She hoped other shelters would take the rest by the day's end.
Bucher says veterinarians who checked the 187 dogs found no serious health problems, only minor eye, teeth and skin problems. She say the two men who kept the dogs at their Columbia County home treated them as pets and identified them by name to officials who took them away Thursday night.
The department has not filed any charges.
A call to the home was not immediately returned.