- Blind dog rescued after being lost for 2 weeks in Alaskan deep freeze
- Weed in D.C. marijuana trade show kicks off this weekend
- 3 new cases of chronic wasting disease found in Va. deer
- Retired Israeli veterans warn against speech
- Pentagon's most expensive fighter jet set for use by the Royal Navy on HMS Queen Elizabeth can not carry advance weapons because of design flaw
- MS stem cell treatment hailed 'miraculous' as patients make dramatic recovery
- Leonard Nimoy's passion for photography celebrated after his death as he championed models with fuller figures
- Scott Walker admits U-turn on illegal immigrants: GOP presidential hopeful ditches previous position for hard line against 'amnesty'
- Couples who stay together can boost their income by an average 35%
- Waxing lyrical: Inside the colourful Crayola factory where 12million crayons are made from 100,000lbs of paraffin wax every day
'Modern Family's Eric Stonestreet Unveils $500K Ala. Dog Park
More from Pets
ALABASTER, Ala. (AP) — It's a good time to be a dog if you're in the Birmingham, Ala., suburb of Alabaster.
A star of ABC-TV's "Modern Family" series, Eric Stonestreet, was in the Shelby County city on Thursday to help introduce a $500,000 dog park that opened at a city park.
The dog park was funded with a grant from Beneful dog food. It includes agility hoops; a path with tunnels; a field for playing fetch; water sprays for cooling off on hot days; and a wash station.
On Thursday, dogs ran around on the grass, chased after balls and slurped up water at a fountain.
"This park is just tremendous for the city of Alabaster," said Jenny Wilson, who won a design contest for the dog park. "It will bring pet owners and pets together. It just creates a wonderful community feel for pets to be celebrated and for pet owners to really form wonderful relationships with the (community) and with their pets. It's a wonderful gift."
The canine attraction was built on a section of the 90-acre Veteran's Park in Alabaster.
DIY network's "Desperate Landscapes" will air an episode shot at the new dog park.
The Emmy Award-winning Stonestreet has a dog of his own, a 12-year-old rescue animal named Coleman Hawkins.