- UVA finalizes new zero-tolerance policy regarding sexual assaults
- Rotary Club of West Springfield ensures needy military families enjoy a Thanksgiving meal
- Woman Injured In Crash Has Died
- Local Shooting Leaves Two People Injured
- Black Friday More Calm in Lynchburg Than Years Past
- Police on Scene of Accident on Route 29 in Campbell Co.
- No One Hurt in Bedford House Fire on Thanksgiving
- WorldViews: Spain’s Real Madrid drops cross from logo to appease Gulf sponsors
- Dove lands on tree unaware it has landed next to a python
- Chinese clothing store in Beijing bans Chinese shoppers because they are 'too annoying'
6 Silly Baby Products That Aren't Necessary
More from Parenting
- Zoo Blames Mom for Tragic Death of 2-Year-Old Mauled to Death After Falling Into Pit
- Letting Children Watch Hours of TV Improves Academic Ability
- Should You Teach a Baby to Talk From Birth or Is It Pushy Parenting Gone Mad?
- How a Newborn Can Ruin Your Marriage
- Parent Forces Children to Hold Embarrassing Signs
When you're pregnant for the first time, the planning and preparation for your baby can be one of the most thrilling, fun experiences ever. The little clothes are so cute and all that gear looks so helpful. So you buy, register and scoop up any and every little thing you think you need for this journey.
Only the truth is, you need very little to raise a child, and most of these products marketed to parents are useless at best, no matter how much they make you want them. But still, you'll want/think you need them and you'll continue to accumulate them while your been-there-done-that friends and family will roll their eyes and maybe even giggle a bit behind your back. If they're the bold type, they may try to save you from yourself, but more often than not, they'll sit back and wait for you to learn the hard wa ... just like most of us do.
So in case no one else will tell you, here are six silly baby products new moms get suckered into buying.
Baby on Board Sign
I almost made this mistake until a friend held an intervention. They seem like a good idea to me, but my friend informed me what a truly BAD idea they were by hysterically cackling once she realized I really was going to buy one. Interestingly enough, a new poll just came out showing how dangerous they can be -- they were blamed for as many as 1 in 20 car accidents! So there's plenty of reason to bypass them.
A Wipes Warmer
It's a sweet idea, but your baby's bottom is going to be just fine with room temperature wipes. You will have a lot bigger things to worry about when it comes to changing some of those messy diapers than the temperature of the wipes.
Videos That Teach Your Baby to Read and Do Quadratic Equations
I know some people swear by them, but if you do buy them, make sure you don't tell anyone and hide them when your moms' group meets at your house. Seriously.
Oh yes, it exists. Trust me, if someone says, "What's that smell?" and you reply, "My baby's perfume," people will laugh not only behind your back, but in your face.
I cringe to think how many of these I gave as gifts before I had children. They're so ridiculously adorable, and, of course, every baby needs a robe, right? Wrong. There's really just no right time for a baby to wear a robe.
Hordes of Expensive Infant Clothes
One or two nice outfits for pictures are fine, but spending oodles of dollars on designer duds for your child before he can even sit up is pointless. No one can even see what babies are wearing when they're always in a carrier, sling or huddled under blankets.