- Morgan Harrington's mother wants DNA database to include misdemeanor convictions
- On Your Side: Job scam targets college students
- Focus on Faith: Feed the children
- Makers of the drone that crashed at White House to enforce D.C. no-fly zone
- Obama offers farewell praise to Hagel as 'true American patriot'
- Concern Over Offshore Drilling Proposal South Of Md.
- Study Could Determine Link Between Pro Football & Brain Injuries
- Amazon Brings 1,000 New Jobs To Baltimore
- Md. Episcopal Diocese Asking For Bishop To Resign After Fatal Hit-And-Run
- Former corrections officer charged with assault of inmate
Adverts to track users across mobile devices
More from Tech
A database created by the company Drawbridge gathers information on users' separate devices and builds up an anonymous profile of them through monitoring their browser type and time spent on websites.
A user profile is generated through an analysis of "cookies," which track users clicks on websites, producing statistics that indicate the likelihood of a trail of clicks being from one human source.
So far the company has created profiles connecting 200 million users, which it hopes will be used to target them with advertisements relevant to their interests.
Although the data contains no login names or location information, Drawbridge is confident that users' web habits alone are informative enough to target them very precisely, and to follow them across different platforms for web browsing.
A spokesman for the UK's Information Commissioners Office, which oversees what is done with personal data, told the BBC that Drawbridge would have to ensure certain safeguards were kept before any UK launch.
The data would have to be truly anonymised and individual identities should not be revealed,
Go ahead, live a little! Hilary Duff indulges her sweet tooth by stocking up on cupcakes from Sprinkles in Beverly Hills.
Detox paid off! Gwyneth Paltrow, 42, continues to show her flawless bikini body in Mexico ...following strict January diet.
SUBSCRIBE MAILING LIST
By subscribing You will recieve our latest news. Your information will not be shared with anyone.