- Hopewell Boil Water Alert lifted
- Salvation Army ad uses #TheDress to shine spotlight on domestic violence and abuse
- Orioles Individual Game Tickets Go On Sale March 11
- 30 Players: Eovaldi Should Bloom At Back End Of Yankees Rotation
- You can be ALLERGIC to cannabis, scientists warn
- Woman horrified to find used syringe full of liquid lying on top of Peppa Pig book in hospital toy box
- 'I broke down in tears when I read the Michael Brown report. We are good cops': Ferguson officer speaks out after devastating probe branded department racist
- Apple finally joins America's prestigious Dow Jones index after splitting stocks to lower its sky-high share price
- Karen Danczuk flies out of UK as brother questioned over abuse claims
- Katie Couric 'in talks with NBC to replace Brian Williams' as station scrambles to rejuvenate itself
Japan's Hitachi to cease production of chips by 2014
More from Tech
A Hitachi logo is seen at an electronics shop in Tokyo October 27, 2012.
Credit: Reuters/Toru Hanai
TOKYO | Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:05pm EST
(Reuters) - Japan's Hitachi Ltd said on Friday it would cease production of chips used in information and telecoms hardware at the end of March 2014.
"The semiconductor industry has seen an increasingly horizontal division of labor in terms of development, design and manufacturing in recent years," said Hitachi in a statement.
Hitachi, an industrial manufacturer that makes goods ranging from nuclear reactors to washing machines, said efforts to boost cost efficiency and competitiveness drove the decision.
(Reporting by Mari Saito; Editing by Michael Watson)