- New Edition, Lauryn Hill among headliners for Richmond Jazz Festival
- Crash shuts down I-295 in Hanover
- Airbus Group starts $150 million venture fund, Silicon Valley base
- TCV seeks to sell stake in marketing firm Merkle: sources
- D.C. council proposes spending $35,000 on gondola study to span Potomac River
- Keidel: No One Is More Motivated To Win Than LeBron James
- Suspect Arrested In Owings Mills Home Invasion
- Police seek school vandals
- WorldViews: It’s not corruption that keeps FIFA’s Sepp Blatter in power. It’s history.
- Feds: No evidence that black man's hanging was homicide
Baltimore Among Cities Asked About Interest In 2024 Olympics
More from Baltimore
Reporting Gigi Barnett
Filed underLocal, News, Sports, Syndicated Local, Syndicated Sports
Related tags2024 Olympics, Baltimore, Bid, Cities, Interest, Olympics
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Baltimore hosting the Olympics in just over a decade? It’s a possibility. Baltimore may make a bid for the 2024 Games.
Gigi Barnett takes a closer look at our chances.
Baltimore is the hometown of the most decorated Olympian of all time, Michael Phelps. But could the city host the 2024 Summer Games? It’s a question the US Olympic Committee wants answered and this week, it asked city leaders if they’re interested.
Some residents already are.
“Given how much the city can be excited about an event, I think it’s an awesome idea,” said Lily Leach.
Baltimore is among 35 of the nation’s top cities the US Olympic Committee reached out to this week. The request comes at a time when the city is still in the sports spotlight after the Ravens Super Bowl win. Add in a baseball team that made the playoffs last season and Terry Hasseltine, the director of the state’s office of sports marketing, says Baltimore is poised to at least consider the idea of bringing the games to Charm City.
“Every time we have success on the field of play, we raise the bar higher and higher,” Hasseltine said. “We have the assets and the tools necessary to be a player in this game.”
Atlanta was the last US city to host the Summer Games back in 2006. Salt Lake City hosted the Winter Games back in 2002.
But before a city is even selected to put in a bid, there are years of prep work to do first.
“Baltimore and the state of Maryland have tremendous assets in place, the tell-tale sign,” said . “It’s exciting to be included in the list of 35.”
If Baltimore is selected by the US Olympic Committee to move forward, international bidding for the 2024 Summer Games will start in 2017.