- Sir Cliff Richard vows to sue the BBC and demands damages after TV news crew filmed abuse inquiry police raiding his home
- Bust-up at Brideshead: After 58 years in iconic Castle Howard, owner forced out with his chatelaine in stunning coup... by his own brother
- SAS quad bike squads kill up to 8 jihadis each day... as allies prepare to wipe IS off the map: Daring raids by UK Special Forces leave 200 enemy dead in just four weeks
- Gorilla warfare! Angry ape throws rock at tourists when they try to video him at Berlin Zoo
- Torching Toulouse: French city burns as riots erupt over death of eco-activist killed by police grenade
- Two male models arrested for 'selling acid and $2,500 worth of cocaine to an undercover cop'
- Woman who rescued vintage wedding photograph washed up on her lawn after Hurricane Sandy has found the owners two years later
- ISIS claims two police officers were stabbed after orders from the extremist group to attack
- NHS bosses finally order investigation into A&E closure chaos after two-year campaign by MoS that exposed deaths and delays
- Crazed gunman who tried to kidnap Princess Anne: At least the Royal Family will be safer thanks to me
Balt. Co. Police Officer Shot Outside Overlea Party
More from Baltimore
Reporting Gigi Barnett
Filed underLocal, News, Syndicated Local
Related tagsBaltimore County Officer Shot, Off-Duty Police Officer Shot, Overlea Shooting, Police Officer Shot, Shooting
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
OVERLEA, Md. (WJZ) — An off-duty police officer was shot twice during a melee in a Baltimore County neighborhood. It happened in the early morning hours. Gigi Barnett reports the shooter is still on the loose.
Shortly after 3 a.m. Sunday morning, Baltimore County police say a driver approached the intersection of Dale and Kenwood avenues in Overlea but there was a large fight in the middle of the street. The driver stopped and asked the crowd to let him by. Police say that’s when someone pulled out a gun and shot the driver. The victim is a police officer, but he was off-duty at the time.
“There is no indication that anybody knew who he was,” said police spokesman Cpl. John Wachter. “It could have easily been anyone else driving their car down the street. `Hey, can you move? I’d like to get my car by’ and anybody could have been victim to that.”
Minutes after the shooting, Baltimore County police arrived on the scene and spotted the off-duty officer bleeding from two gunshot wounds. Medics rushed him to Shock Trauma. Investigators are not revealing his identity; detectives are searching for the shooter.
“Interviewing witnesses and people in the area. We’re asking everybody that might know something about the incident, something unusual in the area, to call our communications center,” Wachter said.
Neighbors believe the fight spilled over from a teen party that became violent.
Detectives believe that the shooting was random and not intended for the officer.
The off-duty officer was treated at Shock Trauma and later released.