- UN rejects $15 million offer from foundation under scrutiny
- Nearly 600 absent after suicide notes found at school
- California to enact comprehensive medical marijuana regulations
- Police: SUV hurtles through Massachusetts auction, injures 8
- US weighing Russian response on flight safety guildlines
- Ex-lottery security officer charged with rigging more games
- 13-year-old boy accused in fatal shooting of girl, 12
- In familiar ritual, Obama consoles families from Oregon mass shooting
- New U.S.-Russia military talks seen on Syria air safety
- Federal agency to supervise Metro safety
Water Leak Blamed For Sinking 2 Baltimore Homes
More from Baltimore
Filed underLocal, News
Related tagscollapse, condemn, Fells Point, Sinking, water leak
BALTIMORE (AP) — City workers are trying to determine what’s causing two homes in Baltimore’s upper Fells Point neighborhood to begin sinking.
The homes have been condemned after city inspectors determined the houses are sinking and in danger of collapsing because of an unknown water source. There is a constant flow of water that has undermined the foundations of the houses.
Public works officials were still investigating Thursday at the South Madeira Street location. Residents were forced to celebrate Thanksgiving elsewhere.
Resident Falita Liles says her home has sunk two to three inches so far. There are also huge cracks in the walls of her basement and bedroom. Liles says she only had a few hours to move out belongings.
Liles and other neighbors believe a recent repaving project may be to blame.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)