- Sandstorm engulfs Jordan's Queen Alia Airport causing travel chaos
- Gwyneth Paltrow didn't name her 'Conscious Uncoupling' post
- US sailor Kristian Saucier charged for taking photos inside nuclear submarine
- Mermaid Melissa swimming with Giant Manta Rays in the Great Barrier Reef
- Is marriage the key to beating alcoholism?
- Detroit officer filmed fleeing from baby skunk as it threatened to spray him
- Terrorist alert issued after 3 drones are spotted above JFK airport
- China Southern flight forced to divert to Amsterdam after 'running out of fuel'
- She's a knockout! Ronda Rousey hits back at body-shamers who called her 'masculine' by proudly wearing a crop top and shorts while celebrating her UFC title victory
- Mystery of 'virgin' shark birth: Female predator did mate... but stored a male's sperm for an astonishing 45 months
Man Accused Of Kidnapping Kid Who Bullied His Son
More from Baltimore
Reporting Meghan McCorkell
Filed underLocal, News, Syndicated Local
Related tagsbully, Donald Shields, Donald Shields Kidnapping, Kidnapping, Tia Drakes
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — A father has been charged with kidnapping after he confronted a student that was bullying his eight-year-old son. It all happened just steps from an elementary school. Now his family is fighting those charges. Meghan McCorkell spoke with them.
Donald Shields is behind bars, charged with kidnapping. Family members say he was just trying to take his son’s bully back to school so he could be identified by school staff.
Donald Shields, 33, has been accused of kidnapping after police say he chased down his son’s bully and locked him inside his car.
“It’s very unbelievable that he would even be accused of doing the things he’s doing,” said Tia Drakes, Shields’ fiancee.
Drakes says the story isn’t true. She says Shields saw three boys beating their eight-year-old son bloody outside Yorkwood Elementary. The kids ran but a block away, Shields saw one of the bullies, told him to get in the car and took him back to school.
“He just thought he was doing the right thing. He thought he was taking a child back to the safe haven that was the school,” Drakes said.
But the victim says Shields nearly hit him with his car, then locked him inside.
In charging documents obtained by our media partner, the Baltimore Sun, the victim says Shields cursed at him, saying, “Don’t [expletive] with my son,” then telling the boy to “get his [expletive] out of his car.”
Parents at the school say they are surprised by the incident, especially since the school has a strict anti-bullying policy.
“I’m shocked, actually, because she’s been here since pre-K and we’ve never had no problems. None,” said parent Diane Waters.
The sign even announces Bully Prevention Month.
Drakes says her fiance is a good father who would never kidnap a child.
“It’s hard. It’s hard to know that they’re accusing him of these things and he’s not that type of person,” she said.
Now she wants him free.
Drakes says at the time, one of the teachers thanked him for bringing the child back to school.
Some teachers have even written character letters to a judge on Shields’ behalf.
Shields is charged with kidnapping, second degree assault and false imprisonment. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for December 11.