- India’s Modi welcomes Obama with a big hug
- Late-night search party of friends using only the light from their mobile phones find tragic schoolgirl, 15, hanged
- Viscount Astor warns of the danger of fixing overseas aid targets in law
- Japanese hostage displays grim photo of friend's beheading the day after deadline passed for the £130million ransom to release them
- Thirteen former SAS soldiers face trial over 'shoot-to-kill' deaths of IRA suspects in a series of covert operations 30 years ago
- The Alice in Wonderland mansion... with a surreal price tag to match: £4.25million five-storey townhouse which inspired Lewis Carroll is up for sale
- Patriots release internal findings on Deflategate as Bill Belichick says climate is to blame for deflated footballs and the team 'followed the rules of the game to the letter'
- 'Eco' bulbs that aren't green and only last weeks... but maker insists eco stands for economy
- Donald Trump considers running for president of US
- Forget that funny pet video, the highest YouTube earner is a faceless woman who makes nearly $5 million by opening toys
Hundreds Of Now-Official Md. Families Celebrate National Adoption Day
More from Baltimore
Reporting Tim Williams
Filed underLocal, News, Syndicated Local
Related tagsAdoption, Baltimore Adoption, Maryland Adoption, National Adoption Day, National Adoption Day Maryland
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
BALTIMORE (WJZ) — Hundreds of children across Maryland and thousands across the country are thankful this holiday season for a very special reason. They are joining their new families. Saturday is National Adoption Day and Tim Williams has more.
With a new name comes a brand new family.
“From this day forward, they shall be known as Alexia Claire Metro and Victor Xavier Metro,” said a judge. “Congratulations!”
For these families and thousands nationwide, this Saturday is National Adoption Day.
“To promote the need for families to adopt the over 100,000 children in America who are waiting for permanent, loving homes,” said Erika Slater, chair of Baltimore Adoption Day.
Dozens of children from Baltimore City and county and Prince George’s County received new parents and new homes at the city’s Circuit Court. Families like the Wilkens’ have waited for Adoption Day. They now have seven children. The newest editions are teenage sons Devontay and Jordan.
“Now it just makes everything whole—our two boys and the girls and we’re all one family now,” said Ronald and Demetria Wilkens.
“It feels great to be part of a family. It’s a lot to look forward to,” said Devontay.
Nationwide, more than 100,000 children are in foster care awaiting loving families. National Adoption Day rolls around each year on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Since it was established in 2000, more than 40,000 families have had their adoptions finalized.
“They are just warm, loving, open, supportive forever families,” Slater said.
Nationally, this is the 12th year for the event.