- Children sharing social media videos as they try to summon Mexican demon with new Charlie Charlie Challenge
- 3 injured in propane tank explosion in Olney
- Do BRAINS really matter more to men than BUSTS?
- Veterans group's Memorial Day #GoSilent campaign inspires a flood of personal tales
- Johnny Depp and Amber Heard land in LA after reports actor could face jail time for smuggling his pet dogs into Australia
- Fallen service members honored on Memorial Day
- Ramos tiebreaking homer lifts Nationals over Cubs 2-1
- "Thunder Road" wooden coaster to be retired
- Adopted daughter given up at birth using Facebook in hopes of finding her mother and long lost siblings
- ISIS release chilling images boasting of spoils of war following slaughter of towns surrounding Iraqi city of Fallujah
Baltimore Native & Voice Of Elmo Accused Of Inappropriate Relationship With Teenaged Boy
More from Baltimore
- Cause Of Death Of Child In Swing Undetermined After Autopsy
- Fallen Wicomico Co. Native Honored At Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens
- Police Say Va. Toddler Accidentally Shoots Self With Handgun
- 21 Short Bridges In Carroll County To Be Inspected
- Police Release 4 Detained In Connection With Mansion Murders
Reporting Mike Hellgren
Filed underLocal, News, Syndicated Local
Related tagsAllegations, Elmo, Inappropriate Relationship, Kevin Clash, Sesame Street
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
BALTIMORE (WJZ)—Kevin Clash, the man from Baltimore County who gained fame as the voice of Elmo, is on leave from Sesame Street after allegations he had a sexual relationship with a teenager.
Mike Hellgren spoke to one of Clash’s relatives.
Clash used to perform at the Inner Harbor in his early years, and he has continued to give back to his community. Many who’ve known him for years are in shock over the allegations.
For 27 years, Maryland’s own Kevin Clash has been the voice behind Elmo–one of the most well-known children’s characters ever.
But Clash is on leave from Sesame Street after a now-23-year-old man claimed he had a sexual relationship with Clash that started when he was just 16 years old.
“We met with the accuser twice and had repeated communications with him. We also conducted a thorough investigation and found the allegation of underage conduct to be unsubstantiated,” Clash’s bosses at the Sesame Workshop said in a statement.
In a statement, Clash admitted having a relationship with the young man but not when the accuser was a teenager.
Sesame Workshop did say: “Although this was a personal relationship unrelated to the workplace, our investigation did reveal that Kevin exercised poor judgment and violated company policy regarding internet usage, and he was disciplined.”
Clash grew up in the Turner Station neighborhood. Those who know him are heartbroken over this allegation.
A relative, who didn’t want to share her name, worries about the damage this has already done.
“It stunned me. I don’t believe it’s true, and I hope it’s proven that it’s not true,” she said. “Even if it’s a rumor, it’ll hurt his reputation.”
Sesame Workshop says Clash is taking time off so he can take action to protect his reputation. And despite what happened Elmo is bigger than him and will live on.
The lawyer who worked for Jerry Sandusky is now representing the accuser in this case.