- Stuffed by Paxo: How rottweiler Jeremy took Miliband and Cameron to task on broken promises, weasel words, rich friends and being torn to shreds by Putin
- WorldViews: Pakistan’s long history of fighting Saudi Arabia’s wars
- Regional offensive against rebels trying to take over Yemen presses on
- A year into a conflict with Russia, are sanctions working?
- WorldViews: Why Nigeria’s election could be the most important in Africa this year
- Students 'sell bodies to pay debts'
- Workers sitting ducks for illness
- Must-win for Sharks and Titans: Lewis
- Charges after boy flung from moving car
- Stampede in Bangladesh kills at least 10 pilgrims
Baltimore Native & Voice Of Elmo Accused Of Inappropriate Relationship With Teenaged Boy
More from Baltimore
Reporting Mike Hellgren
Filed underLocal, News, Syndicated Local
Related tagsAllegations, Elmo, Inappropriate Relationship, Kevin Clash, Sesame Street
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
BALTIMORE (WJZ)—Kevin Clash, the man from Baltimore County who gained fame as the voice of Elmo, is on leave from Sesame Street after allegations he had a sexual relationship with a teenager.
Mike Hellgren spoke to one of Clash’s relatives.
Clash used to perform at the Inner Harbor in his early years, and he has continued to give back to his community. Many who’ve known him for years are in shock over the allegations.
For 27 years, Maryland’s own Kevin Clash has been the voice behind Elmo–one of the most well-known children’s characters ever.
But Clash is on leave from Sesame Street after a now-23-year-old man claimed he had a sexual relationship with Clash that started when he was just 16 years old.
“We met with the accuser twice and had repeated communications with him. We also conducted a thorough investigation and found the allegation of underage conduct to be unsubstantiated,” Clash’s bosses at the Sesame Workshop said in a statement.
In a statement, Clash admitted having a relationship with the young man but not when the accuser was a teenager.
Sesame Workshop did say: “Although this was a personal relationship unrelated to the workplace, our investigation did reveal that Kevin exercised poor judgment and violated company policy regarding internet usage, and he was disciplined.”
Clash grew up in the Turner Station neighborhood. Those who know him are heartbroken over this allegation.
A relative, who didn’t want to share her name, worries about the damage this has already done.
“It stunned me. I don’t believe it’s true, and I hope it’s proven that it’s not true,” she said. “Even if it’s a rumor, it’ll hurt his reputation.”
Sesame Workshop says Clash is taking time off so he can take action to protect his reputation. And despite what happened Elmo is bigger than him and will live on.
The lawyer who worked for Jerry Sandusky is now representing the accuser in this case.