- INSIGHT-Legal troubles, market realities threaten Uber's global push
- Self-critical Pumas seeking perfection
- Russian volunteers likely to fight in Syria, says senior lawmaker
- The Latest: EU in hiring push for border guards
- Polish PM candidate backs closer ties with neighbours on refugee crisis
- Church can't be "museum of memories", pope tells synod
- William Campbell, Satoshi Omura and Youyou Tu win Nobel medicine prize
- UN refugee chief urges West, Muslim world to ally on crises
- White-gloved butlers a new must-have for China’s super-rich
- Palestinian teenager killed as violence between Israel and Palestinians spikes
Daredevil Has Bel Air Buzzing After Reckless Stunt Is Caught On Tape
More from Baltimore
- Anne Arundel County Delegation Returns From Inaugural BWI-Cuba Flight
- Owner Injured In Pappas Seafood Restaurant Robbery
- Police Searching For Clues After Driver Fatally Struck U.S. Marine, Left The Scene
- Trooper Struck While Attempting To Pull Over DWI Suspect
- Davis Hits 2 HRs As Orioles Beat Yankees 9-4 In Finale
Reporting Mike Hellgren
Filed underLocal, News, Syndicated Local
Related tagsbel air, Daredevil, Dirtbike, Harford County, Motorcycle, stunt
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
HARFORD COUNTY, Md. (WJZ) — Controversy in a Harford County community. A daredevil motorcycle rider puts on a secret show, but did he also put people in danger?
Investigator Mike Hellgren has the dramatic video.
Police say they did not even know about this until they saw it on YouTube a few days later. They’re now taking it very seriously.
The daredevil wore a helmet and cape. He circled a busy stretch of Main Street in the heart of Bel Air before revving his dirt bike, and jumping over a fountain–dodging citizens on the way down as the crowd cheered.
But some people think this secret Evel Knievel wannabe put people in jeopardy–especially on a Saturday night (Oct. 27th)–when so many people were out celebrating Halloween.
“It’s dangerous and can cause a major problem in the city–a catastrophe if they hit people,” said Jennifer Hess.
“Not a good idea. Not a good idea,” said Missy Gould.
For perspective, the fountain is about six-feet-tall–and the person who did this was quite bold. It’s directly across the street from the Harford County Sheriff’s Office and just a few blocks away from the Bel Air Police Department.
“It happened in such a quick period of time. I don’t think they had any idea what was going on,” said Max Miller.
Police haven’t returned multiple calls. They did tell WJZ’s news partner the Baltimore Sun–an officer pulled over the caped rider in the same area after the stunt, but “Evel” took off and the officer didn’t chase him.
“Cape and a motorcycle, that’s it. We need Evel Knievel,” said Amy Ausmus.
“I’m shocked. How does this happen? How do they not see it?” asked Glenn Ausmus.
“People push the envelope. He’s trying to prove he can get away with it, and he kind of did,” Amy said.
According to some reports, cops are closing in on him. The daredevil could face a reckless driving charge.
“I don’t know who did it. It’s kind of like catch Evel Knievel,” said Brooke Paulshock.
Several people say the daredevil has done this before.
The reckless driving charge could result in a $500 fine.