- Navy SEAL killed at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-Fort Story in Virginia
- How two missing sisters survived on Girls Scout cookies, cheese puffs and melted snow inside their disabled SUV for TWO WEEKS before help finally arrived
- Police Commissioner Bill Bratton thanks Swedish hero cops who broke up NYC subway brawl by using 'safe and effective restraint tactic'
- Three former Florida A&M band members found guilty of manslaughter in hazing death of drum major
- Flipping the monkey: Cheeky primate takes offence to teenager pulling the middle finger and leaves him sprawling by jumping on his face
- 'Kim caught me in a dress... and Kendall and Kylie did too': Bruce Jenner reveals his children kept 'family secret' and shares touching story of how Kanye West help wife accept transition
- Bruce Jenner's second wife reveals his 1980s despair when he thought about fleeing to Denmark for a sex change... and how their young sons exclaimed, 'Dad has boobs!'
- Sanjay Chaddah who played race card in row smirks after avoiding prison
- Inside Bruce Jenner's new life as a woman: Reality star shows Diane Sawyer the little black dress in secret closet of women's clothing and reveals plans for 'glam room'
- Bruce Jenner reveals he is a Republican and a Christian in interview announcing he is transitioning to a woman
Ocean City Braces For Power Outages, Erosion & Flooding From Hurricane Sandy
More from Baltimore
Reporting Mike Hellgren
Filed underLocal, News, Syndicated Local
Related tagsBeach Erosion, Coastal, Flooding, Hurricane Sandy, Ocean City, Power Outages, Sandy
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
OCEAN CITY, Md. (WJZ)– Hurricane Sandy is powering its way to the Mid-Atlantic region, and towns along Maryland’s shore ready for the worst.
Mike Hellgren has more on how Ocean City is getting ready for the brunt of Hurricane Sandy.
This is a storm that is changing by the moment. There is concern along the shores of Ocean City, but not panic.
Related Story: Md. Prepares As O’Malley Declares State Of Emergency Ahead Of Hurricane Sandy
The calm Atlantic waters could be raging as wind and heavy rain are set to batter Maryland’s coastline from the massive and powerful Hurricane Sandy.
In Ocean City, the head of emergency management said he’s ready.
“What’s uncommon is to see the tail end of the hurricane season or the hurricane coming up the East Coast merging with a winter storm coming into place, calling it the mega storm we may have never seen before,” Joe Theobald said. “So this is going to test everybody’s capabilities.”
Local leaders have been in touch with state officials even before the governor declared a statewide emergency that will allow them extra resources.
“We’re not looking for any real impact from this storm until sometime late Sunday,” Ocean City Mayor Rick Meehan said. “We’ll have a better feeling of exactly what that will be as time moves forward.
Ocean City’s premier attraction is the beach and they have fences up along the coastline. There is great concern here about the potential for beach erosion from this storm.
There could also be flooding downtown and business owners are taking action.
“We watch it by the hour and pretty much change planning based on six-hour, 12-hour reports,” Joe Kro-Art, owner of Ocean Gallery, said.
Related Story: East Coast Prepares For “The Perfect Storm”
A full moon will bring higher tides and more flooding. Sustained high winds could knock out power for days.
“I think it’s going to be the real deal,” an Ocean City resident said.
“I think it’s going to be pretty bad. I’m worried about traffic heading home. So, we’ll see,” a visitor to Ocean City said.
The last hurricane to hit Ocean City was Irene in 2011, which caused minimal damage. They’re hoping that the coming Frankenstorm is not the perfect storm but are pared in case of a direct hit.
Photo Gallery: Tracking Hurricane Sandy