- 1 dead, 3 wounded in university shooting in Northern Arizona University
- California beauty queen was busted for allegedly making child pornography with a 4-year-old
- What is lupus? Selena Gomez diagnosis prompts questions in the wake of the pop singer's announcement that she's been diagnosed with the disease
- British film star Daniel Craig earns his living playing parts, but who knew he had such a flair for the dramatic? he’d rather “slash his wrists” than resume the role
- Bella Hadid turns 19 today and, while at this point it feels as though she's always been a part of the It girl conversation, she actually just burst on the scene barely a year ago
- Justin Bieber appeared as confident as ever as he was pictured on the same day after full-frontal photos of him enjoying a skinny-dipping session in Bora Bora
- Justin Bieber has picked a fight he may want to avoid after upsetting Ronda Rousey by dissing her sister
- Search in Kentucky's Red River Gorge area for 2 missing boys
- Truck falls from overpass near nation's capital; 1 dead
- US STOCKS-Wall St rises as chances of 2015 rate hike fade
Md. Prepares As O’Malley Declares State Of Emergency Ahead Of Hurricane Sandy
More from Baltimore
- Md. Transportation Officials Conducting “Simulated Terrorist Attack” Drill This Weekend
- Drone Lands At Park Near White House; 2 People Ticketed
- 23 Snow Plows Reported Missing From Glen Burnie Yard
- Howard Co. English Teacher Arrested On Prostitution, Sexual Solicitation Of A Minor
- AACo. Police Investigating Racist Post Made On School’s Website
Reporting Meghan McCorkell
Filed underLocal, News, Syndicated Local
Related tagsHurricane Sandy, Martin O'Malley, preparations, State Of Emergency, Storm
Popular Entertainment Photo Galleries
Car Snapped: Celebrities Caught On The Go
Notable Deaths Of 2012
All-Time Father-Son Celebrity Duos
25 Downs: NFL Injuries Over The Years
» More Photo Galleries
ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WJZ)– Marylanders are bracing for the worst as Hurricane Sandy inches closer to the region.
Meghan McCorkell reports.
An emergency declaration has been issued in Baltimore City and across the region. Local leaders are urging everyone to get ready for a hard hit.
Shovel by shovel, people in Fells Point try to protect themselves from the wrath of Hurricane Sandy.
“You need to prepare to hunker down for a couple of days until this large violent deadly storm passes through our area.
Web Extra: Gov. Martin O’Malley Declares A State Of Emergency Ahead Of Hurricane Sandy
A state of emergency is now issued in Maryland. The National Guard is on standby mobilizing along the Eastern Shore. The Coast Guard is getting search and rescue crews ready. And Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE) is mobilizing for a massive response.
National Guard, Coast Guard Prepare To Assist With Emergency Operations When Hurricane Sandy Hits Md.
“There is the real belief that this storm could indeed be worse than what we saw with Hurricane Isabel,” Rob Gould, the vice president and director of communications at BGE, said.
The power company is bringing in 2,000 out-of-state crews to deal with potential outages.
Related Story: BGE Urges Customers To Prepare For Possible Outages Ahead Of Hurricane Sandy
The hurricane could also create a travel nightmare.
At Baltimore-Washington International Airport, while the boards are looking good Friday night, airport officials warn that may not be the case early next week.
“With the scope of this storm, there could very well be flights canceled here at BWI Marshall as well as up and down the East Coast,” Jonathan Dean, a BWI official, said.
Airport officials are warning travelers to be prepared.
Related Story: Ocean City Braces For Power Outages, Erosion & Flooding From Hurricane Sandy
Preparation are also underway in Annapolis where rising waters could mean big damage.
Back in Baltimore, the city is giving out free sandbags to residents in low-lying areas.
“It makes it so much easier to weather a storm when the power goes out, if you have what you need,” Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said.
And the time to get it is now before Sandy strikes.
Photo Gallery: Tracking Hurricane Sandy
The city has set up three sandbag sites– one in Rash Field, one in Harbor East and the other in Fells Point.
The Baltimore City Emergency Operations Center will be activated Sunday morning.
Related Link: More Emergency Preparedness Information