- Vigil held for Goochland murder victim
- Police: SUV with child inside slams into Wyndham home
- RVA Police Chief to criminals: 'My gang is bigger'
- DAY AHEAD: Richmond officials detail plans for traffic during UCI race
- FORECAST: Plan for Thursday/Friday Rain
- Attempted abduction reported in the West End
- Two airmen die after training accident
- TRAFFIC ALERT: Tractor-trailer overturns on Chesterfield ramp
- Motorola receives $1 billion investment from Silver Lake: NYT
- GE unveils customized cloud service in industrial data push
Man Dead In Maryland After Struggle With Deputies
More from Baltimore
Filed underLocal, News
Related tagscalifornia, Condominium, Disturbance, Shooting, St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office
CALIFORNIA, Md. (AP) — The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office says a man is dead after being shot by a deputy during a struggle.
The Sheriff’s Office says deputies responded early Saturday to a report of a disturbance at a condominium in the 23000 block of Sugar Maple Court in California, Md. The Sheriff’s Office says deputies encountered 39-year-old Stephen Robert Wycoff and that a struggle ensued.
One deputy discharged his weapon. Wycoff was pronounced dead on the scene. The sheriff’s deputy who fired his weapon, Cpl. Michael George, was taken to a hospital where he was treated and released. The Sheriff’s Office did not say his injuries were.
George has been placed on routine administrative leave pending the outcomes of an ongoing investigation.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)