- Ovi gets 2; Crosby struggles as Capitals blank Penguins 4-0
- Jones paces Spiders in blowout of Duquesne
- VA General Assembly takes up monkey business
- Residents battle MCPS over controversial bus depot plan
- The charity work of couple Elrey 'Bud' and June Runion murdered buy Craigslist seller
- Bird bounces back, George Wythe grabs controversial win
- Randolph-Macon holds off Bridgewater for 13th straight win
- Man arrested for Johnson City Stabbing
- Battle over tax credits escalating in the General Assembly
- Carolina Snow Tubing
Major quake strikes off Japan, raising risk of tsunami
More from News
- Alexander Litvinenko's post-mortem was 'one of the most dangerous ever'
- Women who risk their lives injecting vitamins to stay looking young: the new health trend growing in popularity
- Apple declares biggest profits ever made by a company
- Jewish leader Riccardo Pacifici trapped inside Auschwitz on 70th anniversary of liberation
- Mystery man who shoveled Boston Marathon finish line during blizzard is identified as 25-year-old bartender as the rest of New England digs out after Juno
- A tsunami warning has been issued for the northeast prefecture of Miyagi
- But there is no threat of a widespread tsunami in the Pacific, a warning center says
- The 7.3-magnitude quake shook buildings in Tokyo
Are you there? Share your photos and video with CNN iReport.
(CNN) -- A powerful earthquake struck off the northeast coast of Japan on Friday evening, rattling buildings in Tokyo and raising the risk of a tsunami.
The 7.3-magnitude quake hit 492 kilometers (306 miles) east-northeast of Tokyo, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
The Japan Meteorological Agency warned a tsunami as high as two meters could hit the country's northeast coast following the quake, which struck out at sea.
The agency issued the warning for Miyagi Prefecture, the hardest hit area by the devastating earthquake and tsunami that struck in March 2011.
But the quake Friday hasn't created a widespread threat of a tsunami in the Pacific, according to the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center.
- More sharing
Go ahead, live a little! Hilary Duff indulges her sweet tooth by stocking up on cupcakes from Sprinkles in Beverly Hills.
Detox paid off! Gwyneth Paltrow, 42, continues to show her flawless bikini body in Mexico ...following strict January diet.
SUBSCRIBE MAILING LIST
By subscribing You will recieve our latest news. Your information will not be shared with anyone.