- Tunisia imposes state of emergency week after deadly beach attack
- Vote puts fate of Greece, its future in Europe on line
- Mexico wants to tame disruptive teachers union
- Kerry says Iran nuclear talks ‘can go either way’
- Greeks reject bailout terms in landslide referendum
- Indian bribe scandal takes a dark turn as witnesses and suspects die
- Did Andy Murray really need that break, asks John McEnroe
- Stacie Cottle the mum of baby seized by Spanish hospital fears she'll be in limbo for months
- Channel migrants triple as holidaymakers and hauliers are warned of Calais blockade
- The women who NEVER let their husbands see them without make-up
Guatemalan official: McAfee detained, could be deported
More from News
- John McAfee could be deported to Belize Thursday, a Guatemalan official says
- Guatemalan immigration authorities detained him Wednesday
- McAfee's lawyer has filed a request for asylum with the Guatemalan government
Guatemala City, Guatemala (CNN) -- Software mogul John McAfee could be deported to Belize Thursday after being detained by immigration officials, a Guatemalan official said.
Authorities took McAfee into custody Wednesday, said Francisco Cuevas, a spokesman for Guatemala's president, Otto Perez Molina. He is accused of being in Guatemala illegally.
After weeks in hiding, the 67-year-old Internet security pioneer emerged publicly Tuesday in Guatemala's capital, hundreds of miles from the Caribbean island in Belize where his next-door neighbor was found dead.
Guatemala's foreign minister said earlier Wednesday that officials there did not know how McAfee entered the country and that there was no record of McAfee entering legally at any official border crossing.
McAfee's lawyer, Telesforo Guerra, filed a formal request for asylum with Guatemalan officials Wednesday. He said McAfee left Belize to escape police persecution.
Belize authorities have said they want to talk to McAfee about the November 11 shooting of his neighbor, American businessman Gregory Faull.
CNN en Español's Fernando del Rincon contributed to this report.
- More sharing