- TRAFFIC ALERT: Tractor trailer crash causes backup on I-295N in Henrico, expect delays
- Baltimore Local Offers
- Marines Helping Marines 10th Annual Charity Golf Outing
- Preakness Infieldfest
- Lardarius Webb Charity Softball Game
- Fiesta 5K for ALS Research
- Buffalo Wild Wings Draft Party
- Thousands Expected At Funeral For Freddie Gray
- Charges Filed After Franklin County Crash Kills One
- Update: Lynchburg Woman Injured While Trying to Push Disabled Vehicle From Road
Drunk man, 19, arrested after PUNCHING puppy in the face
More from News
By Helen Lawson
PUBLISHED: 04:33 EST, 3 November 2012 | UPDATED: 04:52 EST, 3 November 2012
A 19-year-old man has been arrested for punching his family's puppy in the face and throwing her against a tree while drunk.
The attack left the five-month-old German Shepherd, called Bernice, limping and with a swollen and bloodshot right eye.
Jesse Pegram, of Ethel, Washington, Seattle, was arrested on suspicion of first-degree animal cruelty after the assault in the early hours of Friday morning.
This picture shows Bernice the German Shepherd puppy with the swollen and bloodshot eye after the horrific attack by drunken Jesse Pegram
Family members called police in the early hours of Friday morning as Jesse Pegram, 19, punched five-month-old puppy Bernice and threw her against a tree
Pegram's relatives called the sheriff's office at 1am to say he was out of control and attacking Bernice.
They told officers that Pegram had also thrown her against a tree.
The puppy is expected to make a full recovery after she was taken to the Cascade West Veterinary Hospital in Centralia.
Vet Dr Chris Affeldt said Bernice may be transferred to an animal shelter from the hospital this weekend.