- Mood-changing wearable tech sets pulses racing
- Washington, D.C. Weather Forecast: Hot, humid, and mainly dry today
- Metro: trains every 20 minutes on the blue, orange, yellow lines this weekend
- Camp Lejeune Marine Treated for Shark Bite Off NC Coast
- WorldViews: The U.S. air war against the Islamic State, in numbers
- Suicide bomber rams into a vehicle in a NATO-led convoy in Kabul
- Greece readies new bailout bid ahead of summit
- Dublin girl explains in Facebook video why she's vegetarian as she cries
- Garrick Club votes to continue excluding women despite Damian Lewis' support
- BBC scraps Wimbledon 2day delighting viewers but Clare Balding still moaned about
Drunk man, 19, arrested after PUNCHING puppy in the face
More from News
By Helen Lawson
PUBLISHED: 04:33 EST, 3 November 2012 | UPDATED: 04:52 EST, 3 November 2012
A 19-year-old man has been arrested for punching his family's puppy in the face and throwing her against a tree while drunk.
The attack left the five-month-old German Shepherd, called Bernice, limping and with a swollen and bloodshot right eye.
Jesse Pegram, of Ethel, Washington, Seattle, was arrested on suspicion of first-degree animal cruelty after the assault in the early hours of Friday morning.
This picture shows Bernice the German Shepherd puppy with the swollen and bloodshot eye after the horrific attack by drunken Jesse Pegram
Family members called police in the early hours of Friday morning as Jesse Pegram, 19, punched five-month-old puppy Bernice and threw her against a tree
Pegram's relatives called the sheriff's office at 1am to say he was out of control and attacking Bernice.
They told officers that Pegram had also thrown her against a tree.
The puppy is expected to make a full recovery after she was taken to the Cascade West Veterinary Hospital in Centralia.
Vet Dr Chris Affeldt said Bernice may be transferred to an animal shelter from the hospital this weekend.