- Nephew charged with threatening to kill his uncle, a Montgomery County judge, and torch his home
- Johns Hopkins Hosts Teach America Summit
- No. 1 Seed Maryland Ousts Duke In Regional Semifinals 65-55
- WEATHER BLOG: Temps Below Average
- A-Rod Homers In Yankees’ 10-2 Loss To Orioles
- Local Group Offers Free Prom Dresses To Students In Baltimore
- Bill Cosby Performs In Baltimore, Protestors Not Far Behind
- Easter starts early in Bristol
- Bristol Motor Speedway season begins
- Erwin Police looking for person of interest after body found in home
White People's Day: Chris Rock Comment Sparks Fireworks
More from News
- The Syrian War: What Does It Take
- Would you put a £22,000 igloo in your garden? Is it a conservatory for a moonbase? No, it's this summer's fad
- Breathtaking images of America's National Parks overflowing with lush greenery and bleeding sunsets voted best of spring by the U.S. Department of Interior
- Paddington's saviours: Mail on Sunday readers donate astonishing £30,000 to fly tortured bear rescued from Peru circus to new home in U.S. sanctuary
- Next stop, the Golden Globes: James Corden is tipped to host prestigious movie awards after dream start to US chat show
White People’s Day took place on July 4th, according to comedian Chris Rock, who tweeted a joke to his legion of followers that has not settled too well with a large selection of the populace. Since the former “Saturday Night Live” cast member is no stranger to the world of controversy, Rock seems unfazed by the extreme amount of backlash his biting observation has generated. From what I can tell, he’s ruffled quite a few feathers with this one, which usually indicates that he’s touched a nerve most people don’t want to acknowledge.
If you missed Rock’s tweet, here you go:
Happy white peoples independence day the slaves weren’t free but I’m sure they enjoyed fireworks
In response to Rock’s joke, several people have taken to a wide variety of social networking sites to express their disappointment with the comedian, going as far as to say they intend to swear off his movies entirely. Others took their anger and fashioned it into a micro-blogging response of their own, many of which you can find at the bottom of this article.
Of course, not everyone was deeply offended by Rock’s message. Actor Don Cheadle and Zach Braff both thought the joke was just that: a joke. If anyone is shocked that Rock issued a racially-oriented tweet at the nation’s expense, they obviously aren’t very well-versed in the actor’s brand of biting, hot-button comedy.
Elon James White, host of This Week In Blackness, spoke with The Huffington Post regarding Rock’s controversial comment. His insight into the matter is pretty spot-on:
I find this Chris Rock backlash absolutely ridiculous. Really? Someone tells the truth and you mad? I’m American. I never claim otherwise. I never give the “We didn’t land on Plymouth rock” speech unless its in a really funny way. But part of being American, to me, is that I have to acknowledge all the bullshit that comes with it. Basically some folks came over, stole other people’s land, killed them, then started a country on the backs of my people, while killing them, and then at some point they freed the slaves but then oppressed them and killed them some more. Do I have the ability to do things here that I wouldn’t in some parts of the world? Yes. But my family paid the price for that in actual blood, sweat and tears. If more people were like Rock and acknowledged the truth maybe we’d be in a better place as a Nation.
If you’re curious to see what others think about the “Pootie Tang” mastermind’s Independence Day-related tweet, you can sample some Twitter reactions below.
@chrisrock Good one! I bet your Guatemalan house staff got a good chuckle.
He’s the most racist, hateful person I’ve ever heard.Chris Rock Stirs Controversy With “White People’s Day” Tweet
Last yr @ChrisRock said white ppl had gotten less crazy. He won’t make that mistake again!
alicia sanchez gill
just read the @chrisrock tweet and am constantly amazed by how deep white people get in their feelings about a real historical fact.
From the Chris Rock backlash I can see that a lot of people have replaced history with the Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter version of slavery.
He Who Plays Xbox
Chris Rock says “Happy white people day” on the 4th of July and gets called a “monkey” by white ppl. You’re not helping yourself.
@chrisrock Slavery existed for 2000yrs before America. We eradicated it in 100yrs. We now have a black POTUS. #GoFuckYourself