- Consumer Alert: Grinches working overtime to steal your Christmas packages
- 'Pippin' brings high-flying circus flare to D.C.
- 'Black Lives Matter' protesters block D.C. streets
- Left on the scrapheap, over-55s who lose their job: Millions still unfairly left unemployed because employers believe they are 'past it'
- Knit George's cute jumper with this easy-to follow pullout pattern
- The rise of pre-shelled nuts threatens a joyous Xmas tradition
- Shops pocket £300m a year from the gift cards we never use
- Worst ever week in the 'field hospitals' of A&E: Waiting times hit record level for second week with tens of thousands of patients left for up to 19 hours
- From mini lobsters thermidores to prawn spoons and crostini burgers: Cheat's guide to the classiest High Street canapes
- A bake off Christmas Angel: Specially commissioned by the Mail, a spectacular cake from this year's winner Gadget Granny (and her very ingenious husband)
Horrific X-ray shows rusty litter pick embedded in man¿s eye after he fell on it
More from Latest News
- 50 ways to avoid being common at Christmas by NICKY HASLAM
- This is No10's revenge on Theresa: The bitter squabble designed to punish Home Secretary, writes ANDREW PIERCE
- Obama says Ferguson and Garner deaths have started a 'healthy conversation' about race- and insists 'people are basically good'
- The Basil Fawlty of politics: From a distinguished voice on the Left, a devastating critique of Ed Miliband and why Labour isn't trusted on immigration
- Nancy Dell'Olio holds designer jumble sale to raise money ... for Nancy! Lawyer hoping to raise thousands after losing her home
- Wang Chenggen fell face-first onto the huge metal hook
- The rusty metal curve embedded itself 5cm into his eye-socket
- Miraculously avoided damaging his eye and will make a full recovery
By Jimmy Mccloskey
PUBLISHED: 08:40 EST, 7 December 2012 | UPDATED: 08:52 EST, 7 December 2012
A Chinese man almost blinded himself in one eye after impaling it on a giant metal hook.
Wang Chenggen was using the rusty hook to pick up rubbish when he slipped and fell face first onto it.
The bizarre accident happened in Harbin, in China's Heilongjiang Province.
Wang Chenggen impaled his eye on a huge metal hook while using it to collect rubbish
Horrifying x-rays show how the litter-pick embedded itself 5cm into Mr Chenggen's eye socket.
Another photo shows Mr Chenggen holding the hook while sitting down in an apparent attempt to hold it still and prevent it from causing any further damage.
The unlucky man's eye socket appears to bulge out where the entire curve of the fearsome-looking hook has embedded itself into his face.
An x-ray shows how the rusty litterpick embedded itself 5cm into his left eye-socket
And the full-extent of the invasion into his eye-socket is clear from the dried blood caked onto his face.
But despite the stomach-churning injury doctors who operated to remove the hook discovered that Mr Chenggen's eyeball had not been damaged.
Gruesome photos of the procedure show the steady-handed medics gently removing the hook.
And a snap taken after surgery shows just how big the hook is when placed next to a standard medical syringe.
The lucky escape means that he will make a full recovery with his vision unaffected - although Mr Chenggen may want to swap the hook for a yard brush.
Surgeons discovered that the lucky man had not damaged his eyeball in the bizarre accident
The hook sits on a bloodied surgical sheet, dwarfing the syringe it sits next to