- Former UVA official 1 of 2 charged with solicitation of minor
- Man in custody after leading Carroll County deputies on chase
- Romney Will Not Run for President in '16
- Police hunt thug who stabbed a woman with a NEEDLE at Birmingham New Street Station
- Moment car transporter carrying ten top-of-the-range Mercedes crashes into a ditch after skidding on ice
- Internationally renowned conductor Israel Yinon drops dead during a symphony in Switzerland
- Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell loses legal bid to cut his £3million bill for failed libel action - adding an extra £100,000 to his tab
- The science of SUPERSTORMS: Diagrams reveal the perilous processes taking place in tornadoes, thunderstorms and more
- Judy Metliss sends letter of complaint about Midsummer House in Cambridge
- Pensioner Alan Barnes targeted by mugger given £20,000 by well-wishers
Horrific X-ray shows rusty litter pick embedded in man¿s eye after he fell on it
More from Latest News
- The 'luckiest girl in India': Meet the children's rights activist, 14, who hugged Michelle Obama and was praised for her work - but still refused her gift
- EXCLUSIVE: 'When I first laid eyes on Tom Brady he was slow as molasses and had baby fat.' High school coach tells how the Super Bowl champion shunned cheerleaders, got stuffed in a locker and would NEVER cheat
- Mom calls her boyfriend to shoot one-year-old daughter's father at Chuck E. Cheese birthday party and tells her 'daddy is going to die today'
- Conservative radio show producer, 25, arrested at the studio 'for possessing hundreds of disturbing child porn images'
- City trader dubbed King Popper jailed for £5.5million Ponzi scam
- Wang Chenggen fell face-first onto the huge metal hook
- The rusty metal curve embedded itself 5cm into his eye-socket
- Miraculously avoided damaging his eye and will make a full recovery
By Jimmy Mccloskey
PUBLISHED: 08:40 EST, 7 December 2012 | UPDATED: 08:52 EST, 7 December 2012
A Chinese man almost blinded himself in one eye after impaling it on a giant metal hook.
Wang Chenggen was using the rusty hook to pick up rubbish when he slipped and fell face first onto it.
The bizarre accident happened in Harbin, in China's Heilongjiang Province.
Wang Chenggen impaled his eye on a huge metal hook while using it to collect rubbish
Horrifying x-rays show how the litter-pick embedded itself 5cm into Mr Chenggen's eye socket.
Another photo shows Mr Chenggen holding the hook while sitting down in an apparent attempt to hold it still and prevent it from causing any further damage.
The unlucky man's eye socket appears to bulge out where the entire curve of the fearsome-looking hook has embedded itself into his face.
An x-ray shows how the rusty litterpick embedded itself 5cm into his left eye-socket
And the full-extent of the invasion into his eye-socket is clear from the dried blood caked onto his face.
But despite the stomach-churning injury doctors who operated to remove the hook discovered that Mr Chenggen's eyeball had not been damaged.
Gruesome photos of the procedure show the steady-handed medics gently removing the hook.
And a snap taken after surgery shows just how big the hook is when placed next to a standard medical syringe.
The lucky escape means that he will make a full recovery with his vision unaffected - although Mr Chenggen may want to swap the hook for a yard brush.
Surgeons discovered that the lucky man had not damaged his eyeball in the bizarre accident
The hook sits on a bloodied surgical sheet, dwarfing the syringe it sits next to