- Murder charge for man who mistook York Co. hunter for deer
- Vietnam war memento's owner found
- Tom Brokaw gets good news: His cancer is in remission
- Frederick Authorities Increasing Presence At 2 Schools
- AACO Middle School Wins Month-Long Computer Coding Contest
- Stores Extend Hours for Last Minute Shoppers
- Danville Family Grateful to Have Home for the Holidays
- First arrest in forex scandal: Former RBS trader held on suspicion of rigging £3.5trillion foreign exchange market
- Pre-Christmas rush from 1pm to 2pm to sideline traditional discount frenzy... and here are some of this year's must-have gifts
- Your Christmas lunch through a straw: First-ever liquid dinner containing just 300 calories is unveiled by scientists
'I played dead to stop knife rapist from killing me': Brave British barmaid tells of Magaluf attack
More from Headline
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston
- Fit for a queen! Nicole Richie looks regal in embroidered blue velvet jacket as she stops by Malibu boutique
- He's becoming a Kardashian! David Schwimmer set to play late OJ Simpson lawyer Robert in American Crime drama
- 'We’re gonna keep her!' Kristen Bell gives birth to a second daughter... and Dax Shepard reveals the unusual name
- Jessica Alba bundles up in head-to-toe black for business meeting at The Honest Company
Cheryl Maddison was followed home at 4am after finishing her shift on the party island of Magaluf and forced inside her apartment by her attacker, the court heard
A British barmaid yesterday told a Spanish court how she pretended to be dead to stop a knife-wielding rapist killing her.
Cheryl Maddison was followed home at 4am after finishing her shift on the party island of Magaluf and forced inside her apartment by her attacker, the court heard.
“He followed me up the stairs. He punched me and dragged me inside. He said, ‘Shhh... or I kill you’,” she said.
Cheryl, 25, speaking from behind a screen to protect her from coming face-to-face with her alleged attacker, claimed he put her in the shower before pushing her into the bedroom and raping her.
She told the court in the capital Palma: “I bit and scratched him but then I passed out. When I woke up I was by myself in the bedroom. I was confused and crying.
“There was blood coming out my chest. That’s when he entered the room. He put a knife in my neck. It went right into my neck. I thought he wanted me to die.
“My breathing was making gargling sounds because he had stabbed me in the lung so I held my breath so he thought I wasn’t breathing any more. I pretended to be dead. It felt like forever.”
When her attacker fled she crawled out of her flat naked and collapsed in a pool of blood outside a nearby kebab shop.
She needed surgery for stab wounds to her neck, throat, chest and back and spent two weeks in hospital before being allowed home to Murton, County Durham.
Cheryl, who waived her right to anonymity, had only arrived at the resort six days before the attack in May 2008.
The case was reopened in 2010 when a second British woman was assaulted.
Cocaine addict Mohamed Fadel el Anssari, 31, was arrested in 2011 after detectives got his DNA off a cigarette butt. The waiter told officers: “I am an evil man”, the court heard. He denies attempted murder and rape.
Cheryl, now a model, was told she would get compensation if Fadel is found guilty. But she insisted: “I just want him to go to jail.” The trial continues.