- Bob Crow's daughter sues his partner and after being left out of a will she claims is riddled with errors
- Authorities review video of fatal parking lot run-in
- Battling the big freeze! Firefighters covered in ice battling blaze in Brooklyn as ANOTHER major winter storm barrels in just days after Juno battered the Northeast
- Sacramento Kings DeMarcus Cousins remembers to mock blogger for a five-year-old tweet that failed to come true
- 'I don't want to spend the rest of my life in bed': The cruel condition which sees people sleep for up to EIGHTEEN HOURS at a time ... and the drug which is a 'glimmer of hope' for sufferers
- Parents of young children and babies killed by falling items of furniture and TV sets rally to raise awareness of 'tip-over' deaths
- 'She's just a really nice lady': Touching moment Canadian store-worker escorted blind customer home goes viral
- Injury forces end to Weber's career at VCU
- How infamous double agent Kim Philby was behind Italian nuclear physicist's defection to the USSR with tip-off that FBI were trailing him
- Aaron Rodgers celebrates with girlfriend Olivia Munn as he's named NFL MVP of the year... after missing out on the Super Bowl
Six men charged with murder after Indian medical student who was gang-raped on bus dies in hospital
More from Headline
- Nick Clegg admits wanting to slap David Cameron and brands Boris Johnson 'more t*** than statesman'
- Two charged with double murder of married couple five months after the husband, 63, thwarted armed robbery of his mattress store by shooting a suspect in the stomach.
- Carl's Jr's Super Bowl advert model Charlotte McKinney reveals her bullied past, her future in movies - and how she really did bite into THAT burger.
- Tragedy on Martin Scorsese film set
- Barack and Michelle Obama tweet childhood photos
The men face the death penalty if convicted after the 23-year-old "died peacefully" after signs her vital organs had failed
Six men have been charged with murder after an Indian medical student whose gang rape triggered protests died in a Singapore hospital last night.
New Delhi police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said the six face the death penalty if convicted.
The 23-year-old "died peacefully" after signs her vital organs had failed, according to staff at the hospital where she was flown for specialist treatment.
She had earlier suffered a heart attack, a lung and abdominal infection and "significant" brain damage.
Her horrific ordeal on 16th December has sparked demonstrations for better protection from sexual violence.
She and a male friend were traveling on a public bus when they were attacked by six men who raped her and severely beat them both.
They also stripped both naked and threw them off the moving bus on a road in Delhi.
Most rapes and other sex crimes in India go unreported and offenders are rarely punished, women’s rights activists say.
But the brutality of the assault on 16 December triggered public outrage and demands for better policing and harsher punishment for rapists.
Official figures show that 228,650 of the total 256,329 violent crimes recorded last year in India were against women.
The real figure is thought to be much higher as so many women are reluctant to report attacks to the police.
During an address to the chief ministers of India's states on Thursday, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh pledged to bring in new laws to cover attacks on women.
Separately, a teenage gang-rape victim in Punjab killed herself by drinking poison a month after she told police she was gang-raped.
State authorities have suspended one police officer and fired two others on accusations they delayed investigating and taking action in the case.
The three accused in the rape were only arrested Thursday night, a month after the crime was reported.