- Muslim convert wife of Sydney siege gunman back behind bars after court hears she is 'capable of doing criminal acts' on behalf of her dead fanatic husband while awaiting trial for the murder of his FIRST wife
- Pedestrian Injuries on the Rise
- Clean Water Act Lawsuit
- Argentine zoo may be forced to release Sandra the orangutan
- Tent city sprouts up in shadow of downtown Detroit as area bounces back with restaurants and shops doing brisk business
- Revealed: Americans drink more in the winter over Valentine's Day, Superbowl Sunday and St Patrick's Day weekend than any other time of year
- Chesterfield FD responds to house fire
- On Your Side Alert: Organizing your passwords
- O'Boyle posts 100th win as VCU rolls UTPA
- Woman Charged With Fatally Stabbing Boyfriend In Md.
Sandy Hook shooting: Parents of Jessica Rekos speak about the moment they found out she was dead
More from Headline
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston
- Fit for a queen! Nicole Richie looks regal in embroidered blue velvet jacket as she stops by Malibu boutique
- He's becoming a Kardashian! David Schwimmer set to play late OJ Simpson lawyer Robert in American Crime drama
- 'We’re gonna keep her!' Kristen Bell gives birth to a second daughter... and Dax Shepard reveals the unusual name
- Jessica Alba bundles up in head-to-toe black for business meeting at The Honest Company
By Rachel Quigley
PUBLISHED: 15:29 EST, 17 December 2012 | UPDATED: 17:09 EST, 17 December 2012
They were so overwhelmed with grief after hearing of their six-year-old daughter's death, all they could think to do was crawl into the bed she had left just hours before.
Jessica Rekos' parents Richard and Krista are openly talking about the precious daughter they lost and how special she was before she was gunned down at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Friday.
'She was a ball of fire, she ruled the roost,' her mother said. 'We will talk about her every day, we will live for her. We will make sure her brother knows what an amazing person she was.'
Richard added: 'She was our little CEO, she was the boss.'
Scroll down for video
Jessica Rekos' parents: Richard and Krista are openly talking about the precious daughter they lost and how special she was before she was gunned down at her elementary school on Friday
Distraught: The couple spoke to ABC about wanting to keep the memory of Jessica alive despite their pain, revealing she loved horseback riding and writing
The couple spoke to ABC about wanting to keep the memory of Jessica alive despite their pain, revealing she loved horseback riding and writing. She was going to get a pair of cowboy boots for Christmas.
Richard Rekos said of his daughter Jessica: 'She was our little CEO, she was the boss'
Speaking about the moment they found out she was dead, Richard said: 'We couldn't get a straight answer. There's so much panic and confusion when that
announcement was made, the life was just sucked out of everyone in the room.
'And you know, I just point-blank found a state trooper and said, "Are you telling me that standing here as a parent that my daughter is gone?" And he said, "Yes".'
Though they were asked to stay and identify their daughter's body, they left in disbelief and went home, climbing into her bed so they could feel close to her. They didn't leave until 1am.
At that point a police officer came to the house to confirm Jessica was dead.
'It just confirmed the nightmare, it's not real,' Krista Rekos said. 'It's still not real that my little girl who's so full of life and wants a horse so badly, and who was going to get cowboy boots for Christmas, isn't coming home.'
When she received the call on Friday that Sandy Hook Elementary School was on lock down, Krista said she ran through the town she grew up in, a town she thought was the safest place for her daughter to grow up.
'I was running, and I kept thinking, "I'm coming for you honey, I'm coming".
Breaking down in tears she added: 'I knew exactly what she was wearing, and I was hoping to see her little ponytail run around the corner, and her jacket and her black glittery Uggs that she had on that morning.'
Mom Krista said: 'This morning I found a little journal, and it was exactly what I needed, because it says, "I love you so much momma, love Jessica"'
Grief: Though they were asked to stay and identify their daughter's body, they left in disbelief and went home, climbing into her bed so they could feel close to Jessica
The six-year-old with the big heart had been writing in a journal, something her mom was not aware of but found in the days after her death.
'This morning I found a little journal,
and it was exactly what I needed, because it says, "I love you so much
momma, love Jessica", her mother said.
'It was like she was telling me she was watching us and she knows how hard this must be for us, and she wants us to know she loved us, and she knows how much she was loved.'