- UVA finalizes new zero-tolerance policy regarding sexual assaults
- Rotary Club of West Springfield ensures needy military families enjoy a Thanksgiving meal
- Woman Injured In Crash Has Died
- Local Shooting Leaves Two People Injured
- Black Friday More Calm in Lynchburg Than Years Past
- Police on Scene of Accident on Route 29 in Campbell Co.
- No One Hurt in Bedford House Fire on Thanksgiving
- WorldViews: Spain’s Real Madrid drops cross from logo to appease Gulf sponsors
- Dove lands on tree unaware it has landed next to a python
- Chinese clothing store in Beijing bans Chinese shoppers because they are 'too annoying'
Police arrest woman for drunk driving and find her 8-month-old baby buried under trash in back seat
More from Headline
- Darren Wilson to receive $1 million in funding from supporters: 'Michael Brown made a bad choice that day.'
- P. D. James, Author of the Adam Dalgliesh Mysteries, Dies at 94
- Outbreak of bubonic plague in Madagascar has claimed 47 victims
- $100k in cash found inside bag at Cali. Burger King
- Roseanne's Bill Cosby joke gone wrong
PUBLISHED: 08:18 EST, 13 December 2012 | UPDATED: 16:03 EST, 13 December 2012
Police arrested a Texas woman Wednesday after they pulled her over for driving erratically and found an eight-month-old baby sleeping under a pile of trash in her back seat.
Jessica Barber Gutierrez, 40, of Kingwood, Texas, was detained on charges of driving while intoxicated around midnight Wednesday.
Authorities approached her vehicle around 11 p.m. when she stopped for no apparent reason in the middle of a roadway, according to the local news site Montgomery County Police Reporter.
Arrested: Police arrested Jessica Barber Gutierrez, 40, of Kingwood, Texas, after they pulled her over for driving erratically and found her eight-month-old baby sleeping under a pile of trash in her back seat
Buried: The sleeping child is pictured under a pile of clothes, trash and a skateboard in the back seat of Gutierrez's car
During questioning, Gutierrez
admitted to police that she had consumed a beer and taken Prozac and
Xanax, drugs prescribed for depression and anxiety that have serious
side effects when mixed with alcohol.
She also admitted to smoking potpourri, a synthetic drug that mimics the high of marijuana consumption.
Police conducted a field sobriety test, which she failed, and then searched her car.
when they found her eight-month old baby sleeping in the backseat under
a pile of trash, several boxes of clothes and even a skateboard. The
child was strapped into a car seat.
Trashed car: This is the vehicle that Gutierrez was driving when she was pulled over by police for stopping in the middle of the roadway for no apparent reason. Her child was found buried under the trash in the back seat
Another child: Gutierrez said she had another 12-year-old child at home, whom she left with a roommate. She told police she couldn't remember the roommate's name
The search turned up no milk or diapers for the baby. Child Protective Services was called in to investigate and took custody of the baby
Gutierrez stated that she also had a 12-year-old child at home, which she left with her 21-year-old-roommate, whose name she could not remember.
She was transported to Kingwood Regional Hospital for a blood draw, which she consented to, and then booked at Montgomery County Jail in Conroe.
She is being held on a $25,000 bond.
Police conducted a field sobriety test on Gutierrez, which she failed, before searching her car
No diapers: Despite all the trash, police found no milk or diapers in the vehicle for the eight-month-old baby