- Pakistan makes arrests in Taliban school carnage
- Man Thrown from Motorcycle in Weekend Accident
- Nelson Co. Man in Jail - Facing Multiple Child Sex Charges
- Footballer woke from coma after car accident speaking fluent French and thinking he was Hollywood actor Matthew McConaughey
- Why watching The Italian Job turns you into a dangerous driver - movie car chases make motorists reckless behind the wheel
- Terror alert at Strangeways jail sparked after prisoners built DIY bomb
- California gun range sparks outrage over billboard of Santa with assault rifle
- Brodie Smith's girlfriend who died from drug addiction cure reveals he was going to propose
- Spain prepares for world's biggest ever lottery draw with £1.75 BN giveaway
- How NYPD cop Rafael Ramos tried in vain to tell paramedics his name
News anchor proposes to his girlfriend live on-air - after convincing her to appear on show as studio guest
More from Headline
- Satanic Temple puts up display at Michigan Capitol
- Florida police officer dies on duty after getting shot, run over
- NYC's Mayor Bill de Blasio weathers blowback on police reform after cop slayings
- Just like mommy! Jessica Alba and daughter Haven coordinate their outfits in matching blue skirts
- Top of the crops! Iggy Azalea and Charli XCX bare their midriffs while performing a racy show at the Jingle Ball
By Sadie Whitelocks
PUBLISHED: 15:43 EST, 7 December 2012 | UPDATED: 16:10 EST, 7 December 2012
A news anchor proposed to his girlfriend live on-air yesterday, after inviting her on his show to talk about her job.
Mark Rivera, a reporter at WAND-TV, in Decatur, Illinois, told his partner Alissa Groeninger, that she would be in the studio to talk about her role as a journalist at The State Journal Register.
But as the cameras started rolling, Rivera went off script telling viewers that he was about to ask the 'most important question I've ever asked anyone in my whole life', before getting down on one knee and presenting an engagement ring.
Scroll down for video
Will you marry me? News anchor Mark Rivera pops the question to Alissa Groeninger live on-air
He continued: 'I know you thought you were here to be asked a lot of different questions... but really I only have one question to ask you... Will you marry me?'
Groeninger, who looked a little uneasy at first, jumped out of her chair exclaiming 'of course I will' as she threw her arms around him.
Big surprise: Groeninger thought that she would be in the studio to talk about her role as a journalist
Sense of relief: Rivera told viewers 'we'll be right back' after he popped the question
Staff from the TV network were heard cheering in the background as the couple embraced.
Rivera told viewers 'we'll be right back' as the early morning show then cut to a commercial break.
The couple first started dating around three years.Groeninger described the proposal as 'so unexpected'.
Waiting for the right time: The couple have been dating for around three years
After the big event Rivera wrote on his Facebook page: 'Yesterday was a very special day...and the start of a wonderful future together.
'Alissa and I both thank you for sharing in that day and for allowing us to share that moment moment with you.'
A YouTube video of the proposal, titled 'News Anchor proposes live on-air' gained more than 16,000 hits overnight.