- Best Team Fits For The Top 25 NFL Free Agents [20-25]
- Davis Hits Long Homer In Orioles’ 5-0 Win Over Blue Jays
- Ex-Mail Carrier Accused of Dumping Mail in Norfolk Ravine
- Obama says other police departments are racist in first remarks on Ferguson
- Why is it so hard to see black and blue? Salvation Army launch powerful anti-domestic abuse advert featuring THAT dress
- GoPro footage gives POV perspective of dogs taking part in Flyball agility event at Crufts
- ISIS controls as many as 90,000 Twitter accounts which it uses to spread sick propaganda and radicalise Westerners, terror experts reveal
- Britain set for glorious spring weekend with temperatures soaring to 17C making London hotter than Rome
- Sister of MH370 pilot calls for people to stop blaming her brother for the jet's disappearance as Malaysia's transport minister says search will 'go back to the drawing board' if it is not found by May
- Man dies in southwest VA flooding
News anchor proposes to his girlfriend live on-air - after convincing her to appear on show as studio guest
More from Headline
- Shocking moment two women fight over a HANDICAPPED Walmart parking spot: Woman, 32, chest-butted her opponent, 71, to the ground, leaving her with a broken leg
- Kim Kardashian Goes Platinum Blonde: See Her Dramatic New Look!
- Jodi Arias escapes death penalty and is sentenced to life in jail instead as judge calls mistrial to wails of grief from her murdered ex-boyfriend's family
- Jessie James Decker Is Pregnant With Second Baby
- DWTS Mystery Contestant Revealed: It's Bachelor Chris Soules!
By Sadie Whitelocks
PUBLISHED: 15:43 EST, 7 December 2012 | UPDATED: 16:10 EST, 7 December 2012
A news anchor proposed to his girlfriend live on-air yesterday, after inviting her on his show to talk about her job.
Mark Rivera, a reporter at WAND-TV, in Decatur, Illinois, told his partner Alissa Groeninger, that she would be in the studio to talk about her role as a journalist at The State Journal Register.
But as the cameras started rolling, Rivera went off script telling viewers that he was about to ask the 'most important question I've ever asked anyone in my whole life', before getting down on one knee and presenting an engagement ring.
Scroll down for video
Will you marry me? News anchor Mark Rivera pops the question to Alissa Groeninger live on-air
He continued: 'I know you thought you were here to be asked a lot of different questions... but really I only have one question to ask you... Will you marry me?'
Groeninger, who looked a little uneasy at first, jumped out of her chair exclaiming 'of course I will' as she threw her arms around him.
Big surprise: Groeninger thought that she would be in the studio to talk about her role as a journalist
Sense of relief: Rivera told viewers 'we'll be right back' after he popped the question
Staff from the TV network were heard cheering in the background as the couple embraced.
Rivera told viewers 'we'll be right back' as the early morning show then cut to a commercial break.
The couple first started dating around three years.Groeninger described the proposal as 'so unexpected'.
Waiting for the right time: The couple have been dating for around three years
After the big event Rivera wrote on his Facebook page: 'Yesterday was a very special day...and the start of a wonderful future together.
'Alissa and I both thank you for sharing in that day and for allowing us to share that moment moment with you.'
A YouTube video of the proposal, titled 'News Anchor proposes live on-air' gained more than 16,000 hits overnight.