- Controversial Va. lawmaker to resign over sex with teen charges, then run in special election
- BREAKING NEWS: Gas line struck, homes evacuated in Silver Spring
- High street shoppers set to spend £1.2BILLION in a single day
- We can bearly see you! German zoo releases first pictures of its new polar bear cub born just two weeks ago
- 'Millions' more given right to move to UK after court rules EU workers free to bring families
- 'Ice pancakes' found floating on a Scottish river
- Huge quantities of Earth's oldest water are discovered deep underground
- Warblers 'hear' storms approaching TWO days before they hit
- 99% of people don't know what the Bible really says about the nativity story
- Florida man dead two weeks after police used a stun gun on him five times
Bartender repeatedly sent alimony checks to his ex-wife covered in poop
More from Headline
- Britney Spears proves her abs are real in Women's Health video of photo shoot
- Brooklyn rapper arrested in gun, narcotics investigation
- Central Texas TV weatherman shot; gunman pursued
- State Department saw graphic Kim Jong-un death scene in 'The Interview' and 'approved of it'
- The cyber warrior factory 'behind Sony hack' which handpicks genius children to target enemies of Kim Jong un
By James Nye
PUBLISHED: 17:06 EST, 7 December 2012 | UPDATED: 17:14 EST, 7 December 2012
One man has ensured his divorce with his wife was a messy business by sending her a series of alimony checks in the mail smeared with feces.
Brooklyn federal investigators arrested Gerald Desiderio, 51, who lives in Garden City and charged him with sending hazardous materials through the U.S. Mail, obstructing the mail and interstate stalking.
Desiderio's wife, who has not been identified told postal inspectors in Arizona that she believed the checks sent in the mail had been smeared and that she fell ill with flu-like symptoms and gastric problems.
Gerald Desiderio, 51, who lives in Garden City has been charged with sending hazardous materials through the U.S. Mail, obstructing the mail and interstate stalking
According to a court affidavit from a U.S. Postal Service inspector, preliminary tests showed the brown material on the checks, 'came back with numerous hits for organic substances that contained proteins and active biological ingredients.'
It added that more conclusive testing was currently being done.
They added that over the last year, Desiderio had also been enclosing harassing and vulgar notes that included a sketch of a woman in a straitjacket, pictures of people engaged in sexual acts and a picture of a serrated knife.
Desiderio was arraigned yesterday in Brooklyn federal court yesterday (pictured)
Cottonwood, Arizona Post Office where the mail from Mr. Desiderio was intercepted and examined
Desiderio and his wife divorced in Nassau County 2012 and he had agreed to pay her 'spousal maintenance' of $1,720 a month.
the affidavit the wife 'stated that since her divorce from Gerald
Desiderio, his harassment escalated to the point where she felt she had
to move from New York to Cottonwood, Arizona for her safety.'
of the potential health risk that she had been exposed to, the
Cottonwood Post Office put the woman's incoming mail in quarantine and
had it checked by inspectors trained in handling hazardous materials.
Desiderio was arraigned yesterday in Brooklyn federal court, where he posted $35,000 bail and was released.
He will face a federal court trial in Flagstaff, Arizona later month, officials said.