- Koran should be read at Prince Charles' coronation says top bishop
- 'Mexico has lost an icon:' Legendary Mexican comic Roberto Gomez Bolanos who's iconic characters entertained millions of Latin American children dead at 85
- Uber executive 'disciplined' for privacy violation after tracking the journey of a journalist took using 'God View' tool
- 'Since when are Egyptians not white? All I know are': Rupert Murdoch gets slammed for comments on backlash about white actors playing leading roles in new epic Moses film
- A heartwarming tale! Mother and son rob neighbors on Thanksgiving night just hours after the family gave them a turkey dinner!
- 'What are the odds?' Texas truck driver hit by a TURKEY as he drives home for Thanksgiving dinner
- Gun sales bang on Black Friday: FBI performs over 144,000 background checks as Thanksgiving shoppers stock up on firearms (that's 120 per minute)
- Police fear a serial killer may be targeting the homeless after two men were fatally shot in their sleep just miles from each other
- Phoenix man tests negative for Ebola after complaining of sickness upon returning from Sierra Leone
- Man shoots ex-girlfriend at Nordstroms cosmetics counter before killing himself on Black Friday
Doctors Save Toddler From Killer Infection by Transplanting Mother's Faeces Into His Stomach
- The Cancer Girl Cured by the HIV Virus: 7-Year-Old Makes Extraordinary Recovery After Her Immune System's Re-wired to Destroy Leukaemia Cells
- 'I Can Wing It!' Passenger on Board Steps in to Land 747 After Pilot Falls Ill
- 18-Year-old Impersonated ER Doctor and Treated Patients for Weeks (and Was Caught Posing as a Cop While on Bail)
- Scott Disick Battling Perverted Sex Scam Allegations
- Lifeguard Fired For Saving Man's Life
More from Headline
- Darren Wilson to receive $1 million in funding from supporters: 'Michael Brown made a bad choice that day.'
- P. D. James, Author of the Adam Dalgliesh Mysteries, Dies at 94
- Outbreak of bubonic plague in Madagascar has claimed 47 victims
- $100k in cash found inside bag at Cali. Burger King
- Roseanne's Bill Cosby joke gone wrong
When Tatum Williams's 20-month-old son Jesse was struck down with a killer gut infection, she felt powerless to help.
But after a succession of conventional treatments had failed, she was called on to provide a last-ditch attempt to save him in a rather unconventional way.
Doctors said there was a procedure used successfully in adults which involves transplanting faeces into a patient's body to clear up serious symptoms caused by the bacteria C.diff.
'I was all for it,' said the Baltimore mother-of-two.
'We had been dealing with his C.diff for nine months. He was losing weight because of everything he would lose in his diaper.'
Jesse, who was born extremely premature, has suffered various health problems which have been exacerbated by the C.diff infection.
He had already been given strong antibiotics and injections to boost his immune system, but they were not effective.
According to federal health officials, C.diff causes some 14,000 deaths every year and make another 300,000 seriously ill.
'They really had no other option,' Dr Sudhir Dutta, the head of the gastroenterology department at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore who performed the transplant in March, told NBC News.
C.diff occurs when the spore-forming bug invades the intestine, usually after healthy bacteria is killed off by heavy use of antibiotics. It is often caught in hospitals.
The procedure, known as Fecal Microbiota Transplantation, involves transferring the stool from a suitable donor either through a tube from the nose to the stomach or by a colonoscopy to help replenish the healthy bacteria in the infected colon.
Faecal transplants are increasingly being used in adults with success rates up to 90 per cent, but it is less common with children and Jesse is thought to be one of the youngest to undergo the operation.
Mrs Williams, 28, said Jesse started to improve almost immediately.
She said: 'Within two days, I saw changes. It was unbelievable. Now, he’s a typical two-year-old.'