- Hong Kong protests spur renewed debate over ‘patriotic’ education
- Man arrested on suspicion of murder after he was spotted trying to dump a body in the Thames
- A Royal dressing down: US press corps handed a style guide reminding them to smarten up ahead of William and Kate's American visit
- Eurostar chaos: Power cut leaves more than a thousand passengers stranded on board overnight for EIGHT hours
- George Osborne to curb taxman's power to raid bank accounts
- Is having female friends ruining your sex life? Researchers say women with male friends and colleagues have MORE sex
- Are Kylie Jenner's lips achievable with just 'overlining' make-up?
- Francis warns greed of man will 'destroy the world': Pope says earth will not forgive abuse of its resources for profit and urges world leaders to help the hungry
- Outrage over roadside sign in Nebraska town that read: 'Aids, Ebola, Obama. Thank you Africa'
- More than 120 firefighters battle massive out-of-control blaze as it rips through industrial factory
Peyton Manning Silences Critics In His First Broncos Win
- Seattle Seahawks' Win Over Packers Monday Night Proves Replacement Refs Turning NFL Into a Joke
- Michael Jordan's Son Arrested in Omaha Early Sunday Morning
- 'Top Gun' Director Tony Scott Dead After Jumping From Cali. Bridge
- Usher's 11-Year-Old Stepson Declared Brain Dead After Jet Ski Accident
- Glider Crash In Texas Kills Three
More from Headline
- In fine feather: TOWIE's Lucy Mecklenburgh makes a statement in winter white at launch party of her new perfume in London
- Farage leads final plea for votes in today's Rochester by-election with two more Tory MPs 'in talks to defect' if Ukip win
- Actor who appeared in Tom Hanks blockbuster Captain Phillips is jailed for brutal attack
- Pick-up truck with shocking kidnap bumper sticker featuring woman bound and gagged sparks police probe
- Darren Wilson's supporters attack President Obama for 'failing to support officer's family'
Well, it happened. Press conferences, publicity photo shoots and preseason games couldn't possibly prepare Colts fans - or anyone else, really - to see Peyton Manning in another uniform for a game that counts.
But the Manning era began as expected on Sunday night in Denver, and he looked like the same guy that became a legend in Indianapolis. He was 19-of-26 for 245 yards and two touchdowns, and the Broncos beat Pittsburgh 31-19 at Sports Authority Field.
Manning had a solid but unspectacular start, then got into a rhythm, just like he has done countless times before. As the rust fell off from his year out of football, Manning wore out the Steelers defense, working the no-huddle offense masterfully. He read the Pittsburgh defense and picked it apart, patiently taking what it gave him. Manning's 1-yard touchdown to Jacob Tamme gave Denver the lead in the fourth quarter. When Pittsburgh had a chance to win the game, trailing by six points late in the fourth quarter, Manning got some help from a foe-turned-friend.
Cornerback Tracy Porter sealed the win with an interception return for a touchdown - which looked a little bit like when he was with the Saints and picked off Manning and scored to seal Super Bowl XLIV.
Manning was happy to be back. Football fans shared the feeling.
"Obviously it feels good," Manning told NBC after the game. "It's just one game and you try to keep it in perspective. But I know how hard I've worked to get this point. I know how much help I've gotten along the way from a lot of people, how much support. I'm very grateful for that. It definitely feels good, it's special. I'll definitely say it's special."
In the third quarter, Manning picked up a milestone that had to feel really weird for Colts fans. Manning had 399 touchdowns for Indianapolis, and got to celebrate his 400th with the Broncos. To be fair, the touchdown was the handiwork of Demaryius Thomas, who showed a ridiculous burst after catching a well-timed receiver screen to the left. The score went for 71 yards, and Manning joined Brett Favre and Dan Marino in the 400 touchdown club.
The touchdown was also Manning's first in the regular season since Jan. 2, 2011, when he hit Pierre Garcon for a 30-yarder against the Titans. Manning missed all of last season, as he got his neck surgically repaired, but looked healthy in his Broncos debut.
Manning has been an instant superstar in Denver. Broncos fans may have been excited by Tim Tebow's theatrics last year, but they are all in on the Manning era. They blew away training camp attendance records. There has been a non-stop buzz about the Broncos and Manning in Denver since he signed a $96 million in March.
In his first official performance as a Bronco, Manning didn't disappoint.