- Erin Andrews And Brittany Snow Are Tapped To Host The CMT Music Awards 2015
- US Orders Anthrax Review After More Live Shipments Discovered
- Passengers take legal action against Fred Olsen Cruise Lines after being struck down by vomiting bug on voyage that had to be cut short for 'deep cleaning' of ship
- 'I am very happy in my love life': Star golfer Rory McIlroy speaks publicly for the first time about his new girlfriend Erica Stoll
- Comedian John Bishop mugged by motorcyclist who swiped his mobile from his hands while he was sending a text
- Tax man writes off £90million of fines for people who file late returns - because HMRC has backlog of a MILLION letters
- Scrapping Britain's fleet of sub-hunting planes has left Russia free to spy on Trident, warn defence chiefs
- THE MIND DOCTOR MAX PEMBERTON: Women DO lie about rape - as I know to my own cost
- WorldViews: Map: The U.S. is bound by treaties to defend a quarter of humanity
- Photographer brings exhibition of 1970s skateboard scene to Australia
Nicki Minaj, Keith Urban Become 'American Idol' Judges
More from Entertainment
- Kris Humphries Posts Mean Tweet After Bruce Jenner's Transition Interview
- De Niro backs Hillary for president: Hollywood icon and long-time Democrat supporter says Clinton has 'earned the right to be head of the country'
- Former rap mogul Suge Knight collapses in court after $25M bail set
- Ashley Greene puts on leggy display in a pair of racy leather hotpants and FLAT shoes
- Daddy's girl! Lea Michele celebrates her father's birthday with a family hike... and it seems he shares her sense of fun
Rapper Nicki Minaj and Australian country singer Keith Urban will join the "American Idol" judges panel when the TV competition's 12th season starts in January, the Fox network said Sunday.
The panel is growing from three to four judges next season, with singer Mariah Carey, hired in July, and "Idol" original Randy Jackson sitting with Minaj and Urban, the network said.
The judges immediately jumped into action Sunday, auditioning singers at New York's Lincoln Center.
Rocker Steven Tyler and singer Jennifer Lopez left the show at the end of last season, after judging for two seasons.
Jackson's return was made official after weeks of speculation he would move to a mentor role on the show.
Will Randy Jackson return as a judge? Simon Cowell fuming over TV face off Britney Spears' showbiz comeback
Earlier speculation also included the names of Latin singer Enrique Iglesias and former "Idol" contestant Adam Lambert as possible judges.
The official announcement noted Minaj's "unique performance style and iconic fashion."
"Minaj became the first female solo artist to have seven singles simultaneously on the Billboard Hot 100 chart," it said.
Minaj, 29, "represents a different side of the music industry, who has now crossed into mainstream culture with her unique artistry, style and flair," Cecile Frot-Coutaz, the CEO of "Idol" owner FremantleMedia, said.
Urban, 44, is a four-time Grammy Award winner and has recorded 14 songs that topped the country music charts.
He's "one of country music's true stars who brings with him charm, wit and knowledge about the industry," Frot-Coutaz said.
"It's really an honor to have been invited to be a part of the 'American Idol' family," Urban said in a statement to CNN Sunday. "I'm looking forward to working with everyone and to seeing the same passion that I have for music in all of the participants."