- Undercover Sting Leads to Drug Raid
- Bathers sit in 40C water at Canadian spring while air is a chilly -30C
- Wish you were here? ISIS releases tourist brochure-style images of bustling food markets in jihadi stronghold of Mosul
- Tourists film terrifying moment lioness OPENS car door at safari park
- Lindsey Graham suggests surgery hid Nancy Pelosi's 'disgust' at Benjamin Netanyahu speech
- Nobel Peace Prize chairman demoted, first time in 114-year history
- Rich BABIES of Instagram is the new social media trend you will love to hate as smug parents post pictures of their tiny tots posing amid wads of cash and fine jewelry
- Homeless man admits mugging frail 92-year-old widower for £5
- Woman with one leg weighing TWO STONE more than the other is denied NHS funding
- The Bahamas set to open Caribbean's largest mega-resort development in Nassau
Nicki Minaj, Keith Urban Become 'American Idol' Judges
More from Entertainment
- Ashley Greene puts on leggy display in a pair of racy leather hotpants and FLAT shoes
- Daddy's girl! Lea Michele celebrates her father's birthday with a family hike... and it seems he shares her sense of fun
- Zac Efron proves he doesn't need to be shirtless to set temperatures soaring
- Britney Spears Cracks the Whip in 'Work B*tch' Music Video
- Rachael Leigh Cook and Daniel Gillies Welcome First Baby
Rapper Nicki Minaj and Australian country singer Keith Urban will join the "American Idol" judges panel when the TV competition's 12th season starts in January, the Fox network said Sunday.
The panel is growing from three to four judges next season, with singer Mariah Carey, hired in July, and "Idol" original Randy Jackson sitting with Minaj and Urban, the network said.
The judges immediately jumped into action Sunday, auditioning singers at New York's Lincoln Center.
Rocker Steven Tyler and singer Jennifer Lopez left the show at the end of last season, after judging for two seasons.
Jackson's return was made official after weeks of speculation he would move to a mentor role on the show.
Will Randy Jackson return as a judge? Simon Cowell fuming over TV face off Britney Spears' showbiz comeback
Earlier speculation also included the names of Latin singer Enrique Iglesias and former "Idol" contestant Adam Lambert as possible judges.
The official announcement noted Minaj's "unique performance style and iconic fashion."
"Minaj became the first female solo artist to have seven singles simultaneously on the Billboard Hot 100 chart," it said.
Minaj, 29, "represents a different side of the music industry, who has now crossed into mainstream culture with her unique artistry, style and flair," Cecile Frot-Coutaz, the CEO of "Idol" owner FremantleMedia, said.
Urban, 44, is a four-time Grammy Award winner and has recorded 14 songs that topped the country music charts.
He's "one of country music's true stars who brings with him charm, wit and knowledge about the industry," Frot-Coutaz said.
"It's really an honor to have been invited to be a part of the 'American Idol' family," Urban said in a statement to CNN Sunday. "I'm looking forward to working with everyone and to seeing the same passion that I have for music in all of the participants."